Gentoo 11.2 installation question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vutar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 11.2 installation question Reply with quote

Hello there I m new to linux and, as regularly, i need help :D
I was wondering if it's possible to partition my hard drive in GParted and skip partitioning in installation guide (through the terminal)?
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can.
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vutar,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Yes, you may partition your drive(s) how you like when you like with whatever tool you like.
You can use any liveCD for the install as none of the code on the CD goes into your install. The only constraint is that you need to boot a 64 bit kernel to achieve a 64 bit install.

You worry me a little when you speak of a Gentoo 11.2 installation question. Gentoo itself does not have versions. The main portage tree is updated every 30 minutes.
Gentoo liveCDs have versions - they are versioned with their build date and are built every week automatically using the stable portage tree at the time the build starts.

Gentoo liveDVDs are versioned with the year.DVD version, so you have a DVD from the end of 2011. It does not have an installer that allows you to do a binary install (you wouldn't want to anyway) but you may use it for a normal install following the handbook.

You wouldn't want to do a binary install with liveDVD 11.2 as your Gentoo would be a year out of date and difficult to update. Also it would be likewhoas Gentoo.
There is nothing wrong with that but you won't get to choose the settings that you want.

Gentoo is not really a Linux distro, its a set of tools that makes it easy to build your own distro, which is exactly what Gentoo users do.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
vutar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!!!

i m not really familiar with terminal partitioning (fdisk, sectors and so) so i'll do it in safe way :)
vutar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
vutar,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Yes, you may partition your drive(s) how you like when you like with whatever tool you like.
You can use any liveCD for the install as none of the code on the CD goes into your install. The only constraint is that you need to boot a 64 bit kernel to achieve a 64 bit install.

You worry me a little when you speak of a Gentoo 11.2 installation question. Gentoo itself does not have versions. The main portage tree is updated every 30 minutes.
Gentoo liveCDs have versions - they are versioned with their build date and are built every week automatically using the stable portage tree at the time the build starts.

Gentoo liveDVDs are versioned with the year.DVD version, so you have a DVD from the end of 2011. It does not have an installer that allows you to do a binary install (you wouldn't want to anyway) but you may use it for a normal install following the handbook.

You wouldn't want to do a binary install with liveDVD 11.2 as your Gentoo would be a year out of date and difficult to update. Also it would be likewhoas Gentoo.
There is nothing wrong with that but you won't get to choose the settings that you want.

Gentoo is not really a Linux distro, its a set of tools that makes it easy to build your own distro, which is exactly what Gentoo users do.

Thanks

I guess I meant then on live dvd edition ... sorry

I think I will read about Gentoo ... MORE :))

Thank you for the INFO :)
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, vutar!

vutar wrote:
Thanks!!!!!

i m not really familiar with terminal partitioning (fdisk, sectors and so) so i'll do it in safe way :)

The GUI way is actually not the safe(st) way. Once you get more familiar with GNU/Linux you will realize GUI utils are just frontends to CLI utils, and too often they do not meet the expectations. As a result using CLI tools is the safe way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: