View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grey_dot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Announce: just another one udev fork Reply with quote

Jimmy Jazz wrote:

If you are curious about how other devs proceed without udev, you could read the s6-devd code
http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6-linux-utils/index.html

That's really interesting, thanks. Is there any overlay with those?
Jimmy Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Announce: just another one udev fork Reply with quote

grey_dot wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:

If you are curious about how other devs proceed without udev, you could read the s6-devd code
http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6-linux-utils/index.html

That's really interesting, thanks. Is there any overlay with those?

Sorry, I do not remember where it came from and nothing about it at overlay

+----+----+----+
|    |::::|    |
|    |::::|    |
+----+----+----+

motto: WeLCRO
WritE Less Code, Repeat Often
Jubei-Mitsuyoshi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, a question (on topic for a change :) ), i am trying to get udev-fork going on Arch ( thankless task ), i/we have packaged it etc, but there seems to be an issue of a modified soname making it NOT a dropin replacement in an arch system without a bit of recompiling ( an option i am exploring with a script ). Anyway is this a case for a patch ? Would it be feasible to patch the source ( in this case ) and change the soname to whatever the bloody distro is calling for.
That way i dont have to bother the authors with what to them is needless requests.
grey_dot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jubei-Mitsuyoshi wrote:
hi all, a question (on topic for a change :) ), i am trying to get udev-fork going on Arch ( thankless task ), i/we have packaged it etc, but there seems to be an issue of a modified soname making it NOT a dropin replacement in an arch system without a bit of recompiling ( an option i am exploring with a script ). Anyway is this a case for a patch ? Would it be feasible to patch the source ( in this case ) and change the soname to whatever the bloody distro is calling for.
That way i dont have to bother the authors with what to them is needless requests.

Sure, here you go.
Code:

diff --git a/Makefile.am b/Makefile.am
index ed86c4c..c2a725f 100644
--- a/Makefile.am
+++ b/Makefile.am
@@ -6,12 +6,12 @@ SUBDIRS = .
 ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4 ${ACLOCAL_FLAGS}
 AM_MAKEFLAGS = --no-print-directory

-LIBUDEV_CURRENT=13
-LIBUDEV_REVISION=4
-LIBUDEV_AGE=0
+LIBUDEV_CURRENT=2
+LIBUDEV_REVISION=0
+LIBUDEV_AGE=1

LIBGUDEV_CURRENT=1
-LIBGUDEV_REVISION=1
+LIBGUDEV_REVISION=2
 LIBGUDEV_AGE=1

AM_CPPFLAGS = \

Check the numbers in question, I took them from the current systemd tree, so they may be too 'up-to-date'.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
EDIT: actually, I was mistaken, there is one issue, udev-189 will install udevd to /lib/udev, the tarball should be updated to reflect the move to /sbin. Also, this ebuild should be keyworded (at least for ~x86) as otherwise its not possible to select this ebuild over 9999 (both being **).

grey_dot ... just thought, you probably missed this edit (should have made it a seperate post.)

best ... khay
grey_dot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
khayyam wrote:
EDIT: actually, I was mistaken, there is one issue, udev-189 will install udevd to /lib/udev, the tarball should be updated to reflect the move to /sbin. Also, this ebuild should be keyworded (at least for ~x86) as otherwise its not possible to select this ebuild over 9999 (both being **).

grey_dot ... just thought, you probably missed this edit (should have made it a seperate post.)

best ... khay

Sorry, missed that indeed. The release had been made before we actually moved udevd to /sbin and therefore wasn't affected. Use -9999 or wait until we do release 190 (yet almost nothing has been commited to upstream udev, so probably new release won't change anything).
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grey_dot wrote:
The release had been made before we actually moved udevd to /sbin and therefore wasn't affected. Use -9999 or wait until we do release 190 (yet almost nothing has been commited to upstream udev, so probably new release won't change anything).

grey_dot ... I am using 9999, I was just reporting for the sake of others who may install it, along with x-udev::udev-init-scripts, and have the init script look under /sbin. Anyhow, 189 isn't keyworded so it shouldn't hit anyone, just thought it was worth mentioning thats all.

best ... khay
Jubei-Mitsuyoshi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grey_dot....... Dont know what to say, thank you so much, totally blown away :D :D :D :D :D
grey_dot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jubei-Mitsuyoshi wrote:
grey_dot....... Dont know what to say, thank you so much, totally blown away :D :D :D :D :D

No problem, dude. Don't forget to post bugreports, feature request and stuff at our issue tracker if you have any.
Jubei-Mitsuyoshi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grey_dot wrote:
Jubei-Mitsuyoshi wrote:

No problem, dude. Don't forget to post bugreports, feature request and stuff at our issue tracker if you have any.

Hi again, is that the whole of the patch?, patch is complaining that its terminating in mid line, maybe a bit is missing from the bottom ?

Sure will forward all results and bugs straight to you guys, i think quite a few people will be running it, as its the only real alternative to sysd, and all the bug notices are going through me cos i invented the packages, so passing em to you no probs :)

Dio you guys like any "official "format for bug reports, or can we just mail em as emails?
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: thx Reply with quote

thanks for this fork! i was thinking about what i was going to undergo to remove udev completely from my systems, now i did not need to bother.
udev overlay maintainers should consider to add:
/var/lib/layman/udev/profiles/repo_name:
udev

that file to ease overlays management and merging issues related to an unnamed overlay.

EDIT: µdev seems a very good name for me and i guess _µ_ is pretty accessible (even on us keyboards?).
grey_dot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jubei-Mitsuyoshi wrote:

Hi again, is that the whole of the patch?, patch is complaining that its terminating in mid line, maybe a bit is missing from the bottom ?

Try adding new line to the end.

Jubei-Mitsuyoshi wrote:

Sure will forward all results and bugs straight to you guys, i think quite a few people will be running it, as its the only real alternative to sysd, and all the bug notices are going through me cos i invented the packages, so passing em to you no probs :)

Dio you guys like any "official "format for bug reports, or can we just mail em as emails?

Just leave 'em there https://bitbucket.org/braindamaged/udev/issues. We probably will launch a maillist later when we have where to host it.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: thx Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
EDIT: µdev seems a very good name for me and i guess _µ_ is pretty accessible (even on us keyboards?).

tclover ... I think something simpler would be better as its not obvious to everyone how to produce that char. Right now a name change might cause some unnecessary headaches due to dependencies, and unless there is somekind of virtual it may not work in favour of adoption. Anyhow, as others have suggested potencial names, I'll do the same: nudev.

best ... khay
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: thx Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
Anyhow, as others have suggested potencial names, I'll do the same: nudev.

Now that one I like.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Jubei-Mitsuyoshi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just notice the soname change https://bitbucket.org/braindamaged/udev/changeset/a40c0b83ba7b7f9c31f28c8ac30efdffa0f6c22f THANK YOU VERY MUCH :) saves me getting stick for patching it :) :)
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: thx Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
khayyam wrote:

Now that one I like.

Fitzcarraldo ... ya, the naked, or new, udev ... but greyspoke's suggestion I also like ... "are we not men, no, we are devo".

best ... khay
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: thx Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
thanks for this fork! i was thinking about what i was going to undergo to remove udev completely from my systems, now i did not need to bother.
udev overlay maintainers should consider to add:
/var/lib/layman/udev/profiles/repo_name:
udev

that file to ease overlays management and merging issues related to an unnamed overlay.

No need to worry about the non-ascii, typing it out as "mudev" works (and it'll go pretty well with musl when that takes over the world too :D)
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many are using this fork already? how stable is it?
I'm thinking of migrating to it but I cannot afford it to shutdown my server.
hcaulfield57
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the forked udev, and its working well as far as I can tell. Good work! One thing that I'm not sure is my fault or not. I installed the udev-init-scripts from the overlay, but when the script started it complained about not being able to find /lib/udev/udevd, so I just symlinked that to /sbin/udevd. Also I forgot to add the script to sysinit, but it looks like my system booted fine without udev even running on account of automounting devtmpfs. I'm sure those two issues stem from my ineptitude, and due to the fact that I'm not overly used to OpenRC, and my lack of ability with Portage. However I am happy with it so far, so please keep up the good work, and I hope you succeed with this endeavor.

EDIT: Just noticed that the script warns you to add it to sysinit, so I guess I was too tired and missed that, still funny that my system still booted.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hcaulfield57 wrote:
One thing that I'm not sure is my fault or not. I installed the udev-init-scripts from the overlay, but when the script started it complained about not being able to find /lib/udev/udevd, so I just symlinked that to /sbin/udevd.

hcaulfield57 ... yes, the udev-init-scripts-16 patch for /etc/conf.d/udev still has '+udev_cmd=/lib/udev/udevd', but the actual location of udevd is /sbin if installing udev-9999 (which will happen because both 189 and 9999 are unkeyworded). So, rather than sym-link simply edit /etc/conf.d/net and change udev_cmd= to /sbin/udev.

best ... khay
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hcaulfield57 wrote:
/sbin/udevd

Compile with:
Code:
--bindir=/sbin

To get udevd and udevadm in /sbin/
grey_dot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

Udev-189 have been downloaded about 40 times, and I don't know how many people use -9999 (probably more than -189, though bitbucket doesn't provide statistics on repo access, so I can't say for sure).
At the moment we have no runtime issues, and I think I can say it's stable enough to be used. No system restart is needed :)
roravun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: thx Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
khayyam wrote:

Now that one I like.

Why not "mudev"? νdev is kinda less cool than μdev. :-)
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grey_dot wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

Udev-189 have been downloaded about 40 times, and I don't know how many people use -9999 (probably more than -189, though bitbucket doesn't provide statistics on repo access, so I can't say for sure).
At the moment we have no runtime issues, and I think I can say it's stable enough to be used. No system restart is needed :)

the 9999 is the equivalent of udev-9999?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: