<SOLVED>Nvidia-Drivers module won't load in 3.X kernels
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: <SOLVED>Nvidia-Drivers module won't load in 3.X kernel Reply with quote

A couple of months ago I wanted to upgrade to the newer 3.2.1-gentoo-r2 kernel. After configuring, building and installing the new kernel I rebooted to the new kernel and emerge all x11-drivers. I could never get the nvidia-drivers to load and X constantly failed to start with the "no screens found" error. I gave up in my attempt at that time and loaded up my working kernel.

Yesterday I tried again with the 3.4.9-gentoo kernel. To my dismay I have encountered the same problem the nvidia-drivers module will not load properly. X constantly fails to start with the above mentioned error. So I have decided to see if I could locate the problem.

My working kernel is 2.6.37-gentoo-r4. This kernel works great using the latest stable nvidia-drivers and everything loads as expected and X starts rather quickly.
Version of xorg-server
Code:
x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.2  USE="nptl udev xorg -dmx -doc -ipv6 -kdrive -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs -tslib -xnest -xvfb"

Version of nvidia-drivers
Code:
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-295.71  USE="acpi (multilib) tools

Using a minimal xorg-config
Code:
Section "Module"
   Load   "record"
   Load   "glx"
   Load   "dbe"
   Load   "extmod"
   Disable   "dri"
   Disable   "dri2"

SubSection   "extmod"
   Option   "omit xfree86-dga"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "nvidia"
   VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
   BoardName   "MSI GeForce GTX 460"
EndSection

I have tried a few different options in the xorg-config, all work well in the 2.6.37-gentoo-r4 kernel but nothing seems to work for the 3.x.x-gentoo kernels.
I have checked the kernel configurations and tried several things to solve the problem to no avail. Both the 2.6.37-gentoo-r4 and 3.4.9-gentoo kernels are configured almost identically in as much as it is fiscally possible.

The UVESA framebuffer works great when both kernels are booted. However the 3.4.9-gentoo kernel boots properly until it loads the nvidia-drivers module. It loads the module but DMESG reports.
Code:
NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed (0x27:0x38:1190)
NVRM: rm.init.adapter(0)  failed (0x27:0x38:1190)

The Xorg Log Shows
Code:
[   897.572] (II) NVIDIA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
   "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[   897.572] (==) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
[   897.572] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
[   897.572] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[   897.572] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[   897.572] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
[   910.102] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU at PCI:8:0:0.  Please
[   910.102] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     check your system's kernel log for additional error
[   910.102] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     messages and refer to Chapter 8: Common Problems in the
[   910.102] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     README for additional information.
[   910.102] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
[   910.102] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
[   910.102] (II) UnloadSubModule: "wfb"
[   910.102] (II) UnloadSubModule: "fb"
[   910.102] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[   910.102]
Fatal server error:
[   910.102] no screens found

I have also received different X errors on additional boot attempts.
Code:
NVIDIA: could not open device file /dev/nvidia0 (input/output error)
no screens found

It appears the kernel is failing to initialize the graphics card when the nvidia-drivers module is loaded. I have spent a couple of days tiring to sort out this problem and can't seem to find a solution. I am hoping someone here has ran into this same issue and has some insight into how I can fix it.

TIA :)

Last edited by OldTango on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Have you tried without any xorg.conf at all?<--disregard that

Also, are you sure the module is actually loaded? Does it show up in lsmod?

Last edited by epsilon72 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blob will not work without xorg.conf, one needs minimal conf, something like this:

Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
Code:
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Have you tried without any xorg.conf at all?<--disregard that

Also, are you sure the module is actually loaded? Does it show up in lsmod?

Yes the 3.4.9 kernel loads the nvidia module and lsmod confirms that.
As soon as it loads DMESG shows
Code:
NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed (0x27:0x38:1190)
NVRM: rm.init.adapter(0)  failed (0x27:0x38:1190)

I am taking this to mean the Graphics card failed to initialize properly when the nvidia-module was loaded and there fore is not available to the X server, but I fail to see the reason why.

TIA
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange, because I have a GTX 460 as well (although mine is EVGA) and I have absolutely no problems here :?

For your reference, I'm running a mostly stable system with gentoo-sources-3.4.9 and nvidia-drivers-295.71
haleh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should determine screen for xorg.conf ,so I suggest you to add this to your xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen 0"
        Device "Card0"
        DefaultDepth 24
         SubSection "Display"
                Depth 24
   EndSubSection
EndSection

try this ,maybe it worked ,I had this problem and when I edit this section ,it became OK !!!In my opinion most of the nvidia problem for loading X is because of xorg.conf , I suggest you to read :

Code:
$man xorg.conf

to understand what your xorg.conf should be !!!
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Nvidia-Drivers module won't load in 3.X kernels Reply with quote

OldTango wrote:
A couple of months ago I wanted to upgrade to the newer 3.2.1-gentoo-r2 kernel. After configuring, building and installing the new kernel I rebooted to the new kernel and emerge all x11-drivers. I could never get the nvidia-drivers to load and X constantly failed to start with the "no screens found" error. I gave up in my attempt at that time and loaded up my working kernel.

Some tips to digest for you. I have had the same problem/symptoms. Kernel module loads, X hangs. When kernel version went to 3.x.x some options has been added/rearanged. Check through your kernel config again.

That is my tip for you. Sadly to say, I cannot remember exactly what option to change/add. My best guess was to turn off Support for frame buffer devices and DRI.

Oh, I have a nVidia 210 GPU
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nvidia-Drivers module won't load in 3.X kernels Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
OldTango wrote:

Some tips to digest for you. I have had the same problem/symptoms. Kernel module loads, X hangs. When kernel version went to 3.x.x some options has been added/rearanged. Check through your kernel config again.

That is my tip for you. Sadly to say, I cannot remember exactly what option to change/add. My best guess was to turn off Support for frame buffer devices and DRI.

Oh, I have a nVidia 210 GPU

Odd in that the frame buffer UVESA is booting perfectly and so did the kernel. I never use DRI with the closed-source nvidia-drivers. I have filled a bug report, as this is a bug in the 3.x.x-kernels (any I have tried on my hardware have failed) and or the nvidia-drivers with certain hardware.

However I have been able to work around the problem by adding to the grub command line for the 3.4.9-gnntoo kernel.
Code:
amd_iommu=off

This is unnecessary for my 2.6.37-gnetoo-r4 kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: