tools on USB thumb drive / other media
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: tools on USB thumb drive / other media Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been wanting to create a thumb drive that is not bootable, but merely contains a bunch of useful tools for debugging a system. I would plan to use this either on my server in the event I need to monitor network traffic, logs, etc. I would like to keep these binaries on a remote media so that the server itself could have a small footprint for both size concerns as well as security. Then, when I need it, I could simply mount it and use it.

Is this a common practice for system administrators or security-minded personnel? In gentoo this would be relatively easy as I could customize how the binaries will be built and what libraries they will reference.

In some cases, I would want to have a full, bootable system, but I'd like to also have the tools accessible so I can run them on a live system.

Thoughts?

Walter
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you're planning to do exactly. If it's any stuff related to intrusion detection, that won't help much if at all. For any other stuff, sure that's possible, if you statically link them/provide all deps.

Personall, I'd prefer the real bootable system, can always chroot into the system in question when needed.
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your response. That is true, I was looking to save space, but it won't really simplify building the system any, but probably make it more complicated.

Walter
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: