Why Ryan's Medicare Fantasy Doesn't Merit Adult Conversation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Why Ryan's Medicare Fantasy Doesn't Merit Adult Conversation Reply with quote

To prove I don't just read the daily kos

Quote:
Why Ryan's Medicare Fantasy Doesn't Merit Adult Conversation
I don’t get it.

As far as I can tell the Medicare plan proposed by Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney’s vice presidential pick, is a fantasy. Seriously discussing it as a viable way to fix Medicare is a waste of time. Let’s call it what it is: a rhetorical bit of ideological hogwash designed to engage the far right base. Even Romney (before he selected Ryan last week) said its not his plan and that he will unveil his own before the debates. Ryan himself appears only wedded to it as a way to begin “an adult conversation.”

Having covered U.S. economic policy as a reporter and editor for over three decades, where I had to rely on facts, documentation and experience based evidence – not wishful thinking — it is clear to me that the Ryan approach is hogwash. Hogwash topped with rhetorical whipped cream, but hogwash just the same. And any prolonged conversation about solving Medicare that includes the Ryan plan is a distraction designed to burnish Romney/Ryan as staunch conservative capitalists. It is not a legitimate way forward.

Finally, if this plan doesn’t go into effect for 10 years, it really looks like Ryan and Wyden are simply kicking the problem down the road, by which time Romney will have retired to his country estate and Ryan can argue that Congress added so many rules and caveats that his original idea was watered down.

The truth is Obamacare did little to attack costs, except to promise that an advisory board will develop standards of care that will squeeze out excessive use. Critics say this means some unseen bureaucrat will decide what doctors should do, taking health care choice away from people. This is a disingenuous argument because the Ryan plan simply gives that responsibility to bureaucrats inside the insurance industry, assuming they know better. Yikes!

The truth is the Ryan plan doesn’t really privatize Medicare, as many in the media have described it in a short hand manner. It has the illusion of doing so, and doing so 10 years from now. As I said, I don’t get it. Maybe someone can explain it to me, like I’m a six-year old?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelwaldholz/2012/08/13/why-ryans-medicare-fantasy-doesnt-merit-adult-conversation/
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments at that article dispatch the author's claims.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goo goo gah gah
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
goo goo gah gah

lolz