[solved] www-servers/tomcat-7.0.29-r1 with Eclipse WST
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: [solved] www-servers/tomcat-7.0.29-r1 with Eclipse WST Reply with quote

Hi there,

quite some time ago, I updated to tomcat 7.0.29-r1, which, according to the ChangeLog file, was a complete rewrite ebuild-wise. Both 7.0.29 and 7.0.29-r1 work just fine when manually started from bash. However, I can't get -r1 working within Eclipse, as it can't seem to find critical classes anymore when booting:
Code:
SEVERE: Begin event threw error
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest
[...]
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest
   at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366)
[...]

Diff'ing the two installed ebuilds, I noticed that -r1 doesn't have servlet-api.jar in its lib directory anymore. However, there's still /usr/share/tomcat-servlet-api-3.0/lib/servlet-api.jar and a few others from package dev-java/tomcat-servlet-api. Trying to include these files needed to successfully boot tomcat, I've added /usr/share/tomcat-servlet-api-3.0/lib/ in tomcat's launch configuration inside Eclipse - still it's the very same error message popping up with no change whatsoever. Also, some of my classes complain about missing classes (like HttpServletRequest usually contained in servlet-api.jar). Installing 7.0.29 again (without -r1) fixes things, but it's a rather ugly workaround imho.

So, has anyone managed to get tomcat-7.0.29-r1 running from within Eclipse? Are there any special options I need to set after updating tomcat?
Frankly, I'm both out of ideas and things to look for, any input is more than welcome.

Closing information: Eclipse 4.2 (wasn't different in 3.7) installed locally in my user's $HOME, ~amd64 system, current Oracle JDK and JRE 7. If you need more info, please ping.

Last edited by ShinyDoofy on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping with some hack that got it running for me again.

Go to /usr/share/tomcat-7/lib and run these commands:
Code:
ln -s /usr/share/eclipse-ecj-3.7/lib/ecj.jar
ln -s /usr/share/tomcat-servlet-api-3.0/lib/el-api.jar
ln -s /usr/share/tomcat-servlet-api-3.0/lib/jsp-api.jar
ln -s /usr/share/tomcat-servlet-api-3.0/lib/servlet-api.jar

Granted, that's not a perfect way to fix things and it's prone to errors in case of updates, but oh well. Will mark this solved for now. If anybody else has a proper solution for this, I'm all ears.
nileshgr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bumping a rather old thread, but this issue is still there and not fixed means there's gotta be a valid reason. Does anybody know?
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had same problem! Solved with "ln -s" but it seems to be only a workaround.

Is there a better fix for the problem?
ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find a proper solution for this since. By now, I've uninstalled the system-wide eclipse and tomcat installations and simply download them directly from their respective home pages into my user's home directory.
tayirvadai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: [solved] www-servers/tomcat-7.0.29-r1 with Eclipse WST Reply with quote

There is another way to fix this. In Catalina.sh the system uses java-config command in the option --classpath it only uses tomcat-x.y adding the option tomcat-servlet-apt-d.e will help. the command i used is as follows
Code:
java-config --classpath tomcat-x.y,tomcat-servlet-api-d.e

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: