Gnome 3.4 or KDE 4.9 for new Linux Users
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Gnome 3.4 or KDE 4.9 for new Linux Users Reply with quote

As the title asks, which would you use if you had to get people who are new to Linux using Linux? I have read many place's that KDE is the winner as it's so Windows like, but I would like to get away from most things Windows/MS.

After hearing all the stories about G3 being rather unstable and buggy I am curious to hear from people using it, to see if things have improved.

I can use any DE, but other members of my family find some of them confusing, some have said they prefer KDE others XFCE and one said G3 (and she normally has to be obeyed, no democracy here :p)
Nreal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: lxdm + Lxde Reply with quote

Its fast and simple - just works
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may consider "Cinnamon" (Gnome 3 with gnome-shell replaced) it have a more traditional desktop way.

EDIT: Since Cinnamon are few packages + Gnome 3, you can also keep Gnome 3 (gnome-shell) without flood your box.
Another way, if you prefer KDE instead gnome, you can also may try put Razor-Qt (more minimalist/tradicional - also just a few packages) together, but I never used that and I don't know about stability.

I think using one of the two setups above (Gnome+Cinnamon or KDE+Razor-Qt) you can please almost people without any big issue or flooding your box.

Just a idea. :D
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use KDE or LXDE for a new user since it has a similar UI. I would not use gnome3 under any circumstance since its UI is hell to learn and you want them to actually like Linux. Personally, I would argue that if you have a working UI, then there is no reason to change it, even if it is similar to an OS that is not worth its packaging peanuts. But the nice thing about Gentoo is those two can be installed side be side. You can let the user choose (windows would be ashamed!) I did it until I had to kill pulseaudio.

EDIT: I have had fluxbox, lxde, kde, and gnome3 installed at the same time with no trouble do to conflicts. Currently I only have fluxbox Razor-Qt, and kde since gnome3 requires pulseaudo and lxde starting pulling *kits. I have not been very impressed with Razer-Qt since it lacks a good deal of the "finished" feel that lxde and kde have.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin swordmaster wrote:
I would use KDE or LXDE for a new user since it has a similar UI. I would not use gnome3 under any circumstance since its UI is hell to learn and you want them to actually like Linux. Personally, I would argue that if you have a working UI, then there is no reason to change it, even if it is similar to an OS that is not worth its packaging peanuts. But the nice thing about Gentoo is those two can be installed side be side. You can let the user choose (windows would be ashamed!) I did it until I had to kill pulseaudio.

@penguin swordmaster

The question is: "... and one said G3 (and she normally has to be obeyed, no democracy here :p)"

8)
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install Gnome, KDE, and XFCE and let the users choose which one they want. On the gdm logion screen there is a session drop down menu where you can select the desktop to use.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really no universal answer.

I never understood why some people say that kde is more windows-like. As I see it, all desktops besides tiling wms are based on the same exact paradigms (windows, toolbars, menus). In I'd rather say that gnome is more windows-like because of its complete lack of configurability. But, all in all, it just depends on who's sitting in front of the screen. I'd just download an ubuntu cd and a suse one so they can try the desktops without having to compile all of them.
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I never understood why some people say that kde is more windows-like.

I guess I think it is just because Windows 7 is more visually similar with KDE.
cryptosteve
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jip, I would also vote for KDE4.
Ulven101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome3 is like a big smartphone interface. I think the better DE for a new user is the old Gnome2.
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:

I can uderstand it. As in Windows, unlike GNOME the KDE Panel is usually placed at the bottom of the screen, and the KDE launcher icon is usually placed in the same location as the Start icon on the Windows task bar. The Classic format of the KDE launcher menu is very reminiscent of the format of the Start menu in Windows XP and earlier. The concept of Plasma widgets in KDE 4 is reminiscent of Windows Vista gadgets, even down to the pop-up tab when you mouse-over the widget. The transparency in KDE 4 is reminiscent of Windows Aero. The monochrome icons in the KDE 4 System Tray clearly mimic the concept of monochrome icons in the Windows 7 Notification Area. The Icon-Only Task Manager widget in KDE 4 mimics the thumbnail behaviour of Windows Vista and 7, as does the Smooth Tasks widget. And so on.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told her and the kids it was going to be XFCE - to say I am in the dog house is an understatement but its worth it :p
athena810
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kde is prettier but i always thought that gnome was a tad bit faster.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
There's really no universal answer.

I never understood why some people say that kde is more windows-like. As I see it, all desktops besides tiling wms are based on the same exact paradigms (windows, toolbars, menus). In I'd rather say that gnome is more windows-like because of its complete lack of configurability. But, all in all, it just depends on who's sitting in front of the screen. I'd just download an ubuntu cd and a suse one so they can try the desktops without having to compile all of them.

++

Back in 2003 when the last Windows in my home crashed (Wife's PC) I installed KDE for her. She was confused. Replaced it with Xfce. She was still confused. I asked if she wants KDE back. She said no. She said she wants Windows back. I said no. She learned how to use Xfce, running it since then. Now she is smiling when her friends suffer from viruses. She is proud to run Linux. 8)
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say KDE is similar to Windows because of its similar layout, the use of a start menu, the way windows are listed in the bar at the bottom, so on and so forth, I am NOT saying KDE is Windows.

also wife has moved into dirty tactics and is threating to withold sex untill i put on the desktop she wants, this could be bad as she takes ages to make up her mind :lol:
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexcortes wrote:
Quote:

I guess I think it is just because Windows 7 is more visually similar with KDE.

I heard somewhere that gnome want be better than Mac OS, KDE aims at surpassing windows. Just rumors.
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome peaked at v2, from what I have seen of v3, they have fallen off the cliff without a parachute :wink:
sobhan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gnome3 but you can try unity.you may like .and i tink saying that kde is like windows is an insult to the development team.if you want to make them really confused install i3 :twisted:
does any one saw ymlf os and zorin they look like window . i guess you can install their theme and wm.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: