Where's the Installer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noloader
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Where's the Installer? Reply with quote

Hi All,

The "Installing Gentoo" description includes "Problems with the Installer?" Forgive my ignorance, but I can't even find the installer.

I can't find what program to launch at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=2. After "Download, Burn and Boot a Gentoo Installation CD," the guide goes into adding users, starting services such as SSH, etc. But no "Run this to install."

The FAQ does not point out what program to run at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-30551.html. It would be helpful if there was a "How to install Gentoo from a LiveCD" topic.

The Gentoo Installer project appears abandoned: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/, so the installer could be a mythical beast.

The LiveCD password appears to be incorrect, so it could be related to a login problem on the CD (I can't seem to locate the password either).

Would someone kindly point out what program is the installation program? Is that program on the LiveCD?

Thanks,
Jeff
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@noloader, Welcome to Gentoo. :)

The installation program sits in the chair in front of the keyboard. :wink: Just continue to follow the Handbook and you'll be fine.

You shouldn't need a password to get root access:
Gentoo Handbook wrote:
...the LiveDVD (or any other bootable Linux environment) supports getting a root prompt by just invoking sudo su - or sudo -i on a terminal.
- John
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noloader,

This where you would start :D

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml

You can use any live linux media for the installation like mint, ubuntu etc. You're not limited to the gentoo installation media :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
pidsley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
You can use any live linux media for the installation like mint, ubuntu etc. You're not limited to the gentoo installation media :wink:

SystemRescueCD works very well; if you download and use it then you'll have it later when you need it to fix something.
noloader
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
@noloader, Welcome to Gentoo. :)

The installation program sits in the chair in front of the keyboard. :wink: Just continue to follow the Handbook and you'll be fine.

You shouldn't need a password to get root access:
Gentoo Handbook wrote:
...the LiveDVD (or any other bootable Linux environment) supports getting a root prompt by just invoking sudo su - or sudo -i on a terminal.
- John

Thanks John. I reread Chapter 2 again. There is definitely something missing here. How does the handbook go from "Boot to the CD..." to "Start Adding Users" and "Configure Services"? There are no instructions in between on how to perform the install.

The frustrating part is, I only need to stand up a system to test no-exec heaps (need to run gcc/g++ over source code, and then readelf over the compiled program). I'm spending time on administrivia from broken docs that would be better spent on what I'm interested in doing...

Jeff
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noloader wrote:
How does the handbook go from "Boot to the CD..." to "Start Adding Users" and "Configure Services"?
Because it's the next step. :wink: Creating a user at this point is listed as optional and it's only necessary if you want to login to the install process via ssh from another computer. This step is not describing the creation of users for the completed install. Just keep going. The only service that's configured at this point is the network interface because Gentoo needs a working network connection during the install process.

Source based meta-distributions like Gentoo aren't the best thing to use if you need to do work quickly. However, Gentoo may very well be the best distribution to work with if your goal is to learn more about Linux structure or you want to tweak and optimize a lot. Gentoo is the most tweakable distribution in the universe.

The docs aren't broken; your goals just don't necessarily seem consistent with them. Or, to be more fair, the installation documents are not broken in any fundamental or major way. Small inconsistencies are occasionally reported and corrected. I think you'll find that, overall, the Gentoo technical documentation is excellent.

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: