Old Story : What about 4 Monitors combined and HW accelerati
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swelz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Old Story : What about 4 Monitors combined and HW accelerati Reply with quote

Hi there,

i know this topic grows a bread longer then the one from santa clause. Currently i use 3 Displays over two Nvidia Cards which "works".

Setup - current situation :

KDE, 2 Displays combined with nview.
Gnome session on a sperate display (since i was never able to fire up a second kde session at the same time)

With that config i have hw accel. Unfortunately im unable to move windows between the nview config and the gnome session.
Of course im able to enable Xinerama which combines the 3 displays (which would be my dream solution) but hell brakes lose if i do. Using firefox and scroll down a site ... lol not with xinerama ... it stutters and shakes worse than Michael J Fox.

What i want and what i do :

I require several desktops for my work. I develop "rich internet applications" with sencha and such. Which requires me to use a browser smothly. I dont give a f*** about gaming and neither do i want or need compositing and useless effects (You WORK with a computer ? You know what i mean). As a goody a config that would also allow me to watch South Park while working would be grand but is not a knock out criteria. I just wanted to say this since i mentioned the HW acceleration.

TL;DR :

Im about to buy a new workstation and found the "PNY Quadro NVS 450 x16 for DVI Retail, 4x DVI-D, 4x DisplayPort". One card to rule them all. Anyone with such a setup ? Im sure im not the only one with 3+ Monitors ... What is your setup ?? Im really curios. I suppose i cant combine 4 x 26" Displays with nview even with that card. Does anyone have a link to a kde setup with more than 2 monitors WITHOUT Xinerama ?

Any suggestions and help would be MUCH MUCH appreciated ...

Greets,
Steven - Germany
gorkypl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution is very easy. Buy an ATI card that is supported by open drivers and has 4 outputs.
xrandr works great if there is no more than one card, and I am using 3 displays now without any problems. I know nothing about gaming, but as a work setup it is just perfect.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 3 monitors with 1 GTX 670. The card supports up to 4 concurrent displays, but I haven't tried a 4th personally. It works like a treat, full 3d acceleration on every screen (even though you don't care about that) and it all works through the feature previously known as TwinView. With the newer Nvidia blob, it evens exposes the displays properly through xrandr. If your workplace doesn't mind spending a few hundred on a GTX 660, I'd recommend it.
afmos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 3 with the closed source ATI drivers. I also had them working with the open source drivers.
The closed source drivers have a config util that creates a dual head xorg.conf file. You then edit that file and copy/paste 1 set of monitors/video cards (renumbering them to be unique). Add the new unique screen name to the section that has the previously defined sceeen name. Repeat for the 4th driver.

I switched to try VAAPI in my myth PVR setup. However, it seems the latest closed source drives only support HD5xxx and above cards now so all that effort was wasted and that machine is back to running open source.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: