BitCoin mining with nvidia video cards GPUs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: BitCoin mining with nvidia video cards GPUs Reply with quote

Hi,

I have two Gentoo boxes, and each one has two nVidia GPUs installed. I want to set them up for BitCoin mining. I am successful running the phoenix2 bitcoin miner in Windows, but I can't get it running in Gentoo because it relies on OpenCL.

Has anyone been successful running an efficient GPU miner with the nouveau display driver on Gentoo? I prefer to use that one over the proprietary driver.

If you mine for BitCoins on your Gentoo box with nVidia cards, please let me know how you do it; which miner do your use, what does your config file look like (minus your bitcoin pool credentials).

Thanks,
Richard
Pearlseattle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Forget Nouveau - use the proprietary drivers
2) Compute how much you would spend in electricity vs. the earnings of Bitcoin - I'm a big fan of nVidia and use only nVidia-cards in Linux because they're so reliable, but had to give it up as the costs for energy consumption were higher than the earnings I would have gotten from Bitcoin.
3) Have a look at some benchmarks - If you really want to give it a try you'll have to use an ATI card - in this area they're apparently much more efficient than nVidia-cards. But in the end even that will be too expensive and you'll have to focus on FPGAs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: