Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Would gentoo run efficiently on my machine.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HopelessCode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Would gentoo run efficiently on my machine. Reply with quote

Hello world, i am not sure if this type of question is allowed in this section, but my machine is a x-64 AMD so i believe i am right on topic. Any-who i have tried other linux distros in the past, but they have always given me problems, i'm not sure if it is my pc, or the distro itself, below is specs of my pc; i would appropriate if someone could tell me if i can run gentoo efficiently on this machine.

Quote:

Motherboard: AAHD2-HY (Holly)
Processor: AMD A4 3420 Processor
Memory: 4 GB
Integrated Graphics: ATI Radeon 6410D
Sound/Audio: Integrated Realtek ALC 656 Audio
Networking: 802.11 Wireless b/g/n PCI-E Mini card / LAN: 1000-Base-T

Thank you,
HopelessCode.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use UNetbootin to create a bootable LiveUSB pen drive with the ISO of the Gentoo 12.1 Live DVD. That would at least tell you if all your hardware will play ball easily.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
HopelessCode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
You could use UNetbootin to create a bootable LiveUSB pen drive with the ISO of the Gentoo 12.1 Live DVD. That would at least tell you if all your hardware will play ball easily.

well i downloaded 'UNetbootin' and im sorta lost, does it support gentoo? i saw 'sabayon' (which is gentoo pre-compiled) but not an option for gentoo itself. any advice?

Thanks,
HopelessCode.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Would gentoo run efficiently on my machine. Reply with quote

HopelessCode wrote:
always given me problems

Too vague.
HopelessCode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Would gentoo run efficiently on my machine. Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
HopelessCode wrote:
always given me problems

Too vague.

Well to be exact; I believe the video driver would crash, and hang the machine, weather by freezing it, or the screen going black, and my cpu power led going from blue to yello.
pidsley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HopelessCode wrote:
PaulBredbury wrote:
HopelessCode wrote:
always given me problems

Too vague.

Well to be exact; I believe the video driver would crash, and hang the machine, weather by freezing it, or the screen going black, and my cpu power led going from blue to yello.

What other distros have you tried? None of them worked? What are you running now?

HopelessCode wrote:
Fitzcarraldo wrote:

well i downloaded 'UNetbootin' and im sorta lost, does it support gentoo? i saw 'sabayon' (which is gentoo pre-compiled) but not an option for gentoo itself. any advice?

Thanks,
HopelessCode.

You need to download the Gentoo Live DVD (Fitzcarraldo gave you the link) and then use Unetbootin to put it on a USB stick by specifying the path to the .iso file you just downloaded.

Have you looked at the installation instructions yet? Do they look like something you could handle? Installing and maintaining Gentoo is more challenging than installing an average distro.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still too vague.
Is Linux crashing or Xorg?
I'd download SystemRescueCd instead, put it on a USB stick and boot. How far it boots? Can you get to the shell?
HopelessCode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Still too vague.
Is Linux crashing or Xorg?
I'd download SystemRescueCd instead, put it on a USB stick and boot. How far it boots? Can you get to the shell?

to my knowledge back then, it may have been Xorg, i attempted to fix the problems back then but it would still do as described, i'm looking to get an answer if i compile the gentoo kernel just right, would it work with the hardware specified. The other distros i tried where (Sabayon and OpenSUSE) both had the same problems.
pidsley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HopelessCode wrote:
i'm looking to get an answer if i compile the gentoo kernel just right, would it work with the hardware specified.

No one can give you the answer you are looking for (especially without knowing exactly what didn't work before).

Gentoo will probably work with your hardware, but it will be up to you to compile the kernel "just right" and do the other work necessary to make your hardware work. There is no absolute "yes" or "no" answer.

Have you tried any other distros recently? Many have Live CDs you can download and try out with very little work.

Jaglover wrote:

Try this -- it's a close approximation to what you'll have with Gentoo.
HopelessCode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pidsley wrote:
HopelessCode wrote:
i'm looking to get an answer if i compile the gentoo kernel just right, would it work with the hardware specified.

No one can give you the answer you are looking for (especially without knowing exactly what didn't work before).

Gentoo will probably work with your hardware, but it will be up to you to compile the kernel "just right" and do the other work necessary to make your hardware work. There is no absolute "yes" or "no" answer.

Have you tried any other distros recently? Many have Live CDs you can download and try out with very little work.

Jaglover wrote:

Try this -- it's a close approximation to what you'll have with Gentoo.

This is what i may have to try, or maybe just installing it straight on the machine, and testing it out (to see if the same problems occur) if the problems still persist, i will post with better detail; i would have given better details before hand, but sadly i don't have any of the old log files from SUSE or Sabayon nor do i really know the problem that persisted. I will most likely be back, once i get access to a mobile device to read the install guide. (if the problem still exists.)

Jaglover wrote:

I can get into the shell, and even launch a livecd. The main issue is the video with my machine (I believe, i cant be sure if this really is the problem).

But thanks for the advice guy's, maybe the best method here is jump into it, test it, and after that start working the bugs out slowly :).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: