Need help debugging my UPnP/MediaTomb setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Need help debugging my UPnP/MediaTomb setup Reply with quote

I have mediatomb running on a headless box which I want to access from my desktop running Windows Media Player on Win7 and VLC running on Gentoo.

WMP shows the mediatomb server in it's library but when I try to access anything in it wmp just says that the connection has been refused. Does anyone, by chance, have an idea what could be wrong there?
VLC on the other hand fails to do anything upnp related. Tools -> Messages produces the following log when opening the upnp menu.
Code:
main debug: adding services_discovery upnp{longname="Universal Plug'n'Play"}...
main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist
main debug: rebuild done - 34 items, index 33
main debug: looking for services_discovery module: 1 candidate
upnp error: Initialization failed: UPNP_E_OUTOF_SOCKET
main debug: no services_discovery module matching "upnp" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 131.910 ms - Total 131.910 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 131.910 ms)
main error: no suitable services discovery module

Actually I do have a 3rd client: A small internet-radio device which also supports upnp. And I can play songs from the mediatomb library with it. So apparently mediatomb is working.
I just have no idea what is wrong with wmp and vlc plus I'm out of ideas what I could try to access mediatomb from either of these two pcs.
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dr Willy,
I read recently somwhere Meidatomb is on it's way out. I think it is becoming out of date and not even sure if someone is maintaining it now.
I have been trying to stream via Upnp to a wifi radio and had serious issues.
I tried Rygel, and could not get it to stream. I spent about 4 days playing around and my wifi device just refused to see it.
In the end I set up XBMC and enabled the Upnp function.
Now my wifi-radio sees XBMC and lets me hear my entire collection without any latency issues.
It might seem like an enormous task for such a small thing, but try XBMC out if you like, because it works.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, the last mediatomb release is from '10. Then again I don't see why mediatomb should miraculously not work because the last release was two years ago.
As for xmbc, I don't really want to throw that on a headless box.
I had a look at ushare - which was even more outdated, shipped with a broken init script and after fixing that didn't even start. Really, what do people use these days?
Mistwolf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try Mediatomb a while back, was not bad, but I had issues with some files.

Nowadays I use ampache for music streaming and pms (playstation 3 media server) for streaming movies. My playstation 3 detects the upnp media server and most files work.

Latest update for pms is from this month.

Hope this helps.

PS: and yes, I know I did not answer your original question about mediatomb streaming to WMP/vlc.

edit: forgot the link http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/
BT
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the MediaTomb devs, WMP doesn't implement the UPnP spec properly. They also don't want to add hacks to get it work. I'm not sure if this situation has changed with recent versions of WMP.

If you're looking for a headless solution you should try MiniDLNA. It should work with WMP and VLC. I have no issues with VLC (2.0.3 with libupnp 1.6.17) and MediaTomb so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT wrote:
According to the MediaTomb devs, WMP doesn't implement the UPnP spec properly. They also don't want to add hacks to get it work. I'm not sure if this situation has changed with recent versions of WMP.
If you're looking for a headless solution you should try MiniDLNA. It should work with WMP and VLC.

Well that's good to know I guess.
I tried minidlna and that worked as expected.
Now I just have to get that vlc issue fixed … or use a different client. (The VideoLan Client unable to play videos on the lan - irony anyone?)
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MediaTomb and don't have a problem with it, with my non-digital TV connected to a PS3.

I like the web based GUI for configuration. I have configured it to serve up my videos, music and pictures (including Canon RAWs and Nikon NEFs).

Ok, it might not have had a release in over 2 years, but it works, so what is the need for the release?

I admit, a nice to have feature would be able to say
Quote:
this media folder is on a usb disk, if the folder is missing in it's entirety, don't delete all the media therein, but mark the media as unavailable

Current behavior is
Quote:
Oh, the folder is missing, lets delete the thousands of media entries I so laboriously scanned in

I am having a quick play with minidlna, seems to work, but no nice GUI and it seems to be constrained to using sqllite, whilst I am using MySQL for MediaTomb.

So, don't write MediaTomb off just yet, at least until something better comes along.

:)
BT
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyallp wrote:
So, don't write MediaTomb off just yet, at least until something better comes along.

MediaTomb has been assigned to treecleaners and will most likely be removed from Portage unless a new maintainer is found. :cry:
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not in portage.
Which is a shame.

I have a local ebuild, I am not sure where I got it from.

Just because there have been no releases recently, does not mean the package is not useful or does not work. No releases may mean that the package is so good that it doesn't need releases!

I can understand removing packages that no longer work, but MediaTomb does work!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: