Simultaneos HDMI sound output issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esperto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Simultaneos HDMI sound output issue Reply with quote

Hi all,

sometime ago I replaced my HTPC, the old motherboard had a S/PDIF output and everything worked great, but the new motherboard only has analog (and a crappy one) so I decided to use my video card (GTX1050) HDMI output and I'm having problems to get it to work properly.
I can get sound out but not at the same time, for instance, if I have amarok opened (doesn't even need to be playing, just opened), I cannot get sound out of smplayer, and smplayer does not output sound if choose "alsa" only if I choose hw1:7 in "defined by the user" as output control

I've followed the instructions here https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA, to get it working as is now but no success with simultaneous output, KDE multimedia config uses phonon VLC as infrastructure and set to use "HDA NVidia, HDMI 1 HDMI Audio Output" as default.
Find below my list of devices and .asound file.

Code:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]

Code:

pcm.!spdif {
     type hw
     card 1
     device 7
}

pcm.!analog {
     type hw
     card 0
     device 0
}

pcm.!default {
     type plug
     slave {
           pcm "spdif"
     }
}

Does anyone has a suggestion on how to make it to work in a way that I can have more than one software output audio at a time?
Thanks!

[Moderator edit: changed [quote] tags to [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have no clue really. I'm just following logic in my mind....

So we are actually talking about 2 different audio chipsets here, the one for the HDMI embedded on the video card and the one for SPDIF embedded on the motherboard. It seems to me there would be 2 hardware buffers there, and how could you output audio to both buffers? I'm not sure you can. There seems to be a logical block there.
shrike
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esperto,

I believe the alsa DMIX plugin will permit more than one app to cntrl audio device simultaneously.. at the cost of some degradation of audio fidelity.

https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc#Software_mixing

Best,

shrike
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrike wrote:
esperto,

I believe the alsa DMIX plugin will permit more than one app to cntrl audio device simultaneously.. at the cost of some degradation of audio fidelity.

https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc#Software_mixing

Best,

shrike

My understanding was the opposite of that. 1 app, 2 device outputs? Did I misunderstand?
shrike
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duby2291,

Quote:
My understanding was the opposite of that. 1 app, 2 device outputs? Did I misunderstand?

Maybe.. I was thinking of my experience of 'only one app at a time can stream audio' and it was a PITA to have to close app 1, open app 2, close app 2, reopen app 1. DMIX solved that for me. But re-parsing the OP I glossed over 'KDE phonon'. I have no recent experience with KDE sound servers. I thought only one device was defined as per .asound file (btw, I discounted 'spdif' references here as relics from the previous motherboard but updated as to Card 1, Device 7).

Best,

shrike
esperto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

To clarify, is 2 apps 1 cup... I mean 1 output :lol:
There is a onboard sound card on the motherboard, which is not in use, and I would like to use only the HDMI sound output, but can only get one application at a time, so no mixing, while when using the analog output it worked, but with a crappy quality (I blame the onboard sound card, it is sh*t)

I think I've tried to use DMIX in .asound but didn't work, but will give another shot.
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrike wrote:
duby2291,

Quote:

Maybe.. I was thinking of my experience of 'only one app at a time can stream audio' and it was a PITA to have to close app 1, open app 2, close app 2, reopen app 1. DMIX solved that for me. But re-parsing the OP I glossed over 'KDE phonon'. I have no recent experience with KDE sound servers. I thought only one device was defined as per .asound file (btw, I discounted 'spdif' references here as relics from the previous motherboard but updated as to Card 1, Device 7).

Best,

shrike

Ah ok, that makes perfect sense.

esperto wrote:
Hi all,

To clarify, is 2 apps 1 cup... I mean 1 output :lol:
There is a onboard sound card on the motherboard, which is not in use, and I would like to use only the HDMI sound output, but can only get one application at a time, so no mixing, while when using the analog output it worked, but with a crappy quality (I blame the onboard sound card, it is sh*t)

I think I've tried to use DMIX in .asound but didn't work, but will give another shot.

Yeah so it seems like dmix is probably the solution once working properly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: