KDE audio settings: switching devices does not work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: KDE audio settings: switching devices does not work Reply with quote

I have installed Gentoo on a new computer. Everything works find.

Also sound works, be it in VLC, Firefox (you tube) or testing my on-board Intel sound card via the KDE multimedia audio settings.

But:
  • My speakers are connected to the audio jack at the back of the computer, not to the HDMI port. But in the KDE system setting -> Multimedia -> Device Preference, I can also select the HDMI device and "test" it - the sound continues to come via my speakers. This is of course not harmful.
  • But things become annoying when I plug in my USB Headset (Logitech H540). When I have plugged it in, I can without problems switching between my speakers and my headset in VLC via changing the audio device. But in the KDE audio setting, where the Logitech device also appears, selecting this audio device and "test" it makes no difference - the sound continues to come via the speakers.
  • Rebooting the PC with the headset plugged in does not change anything
My conclusion: I can switch between audio devices (speakers or headset) in applications such as VLC that themselves control the devices (hence there is nothing wrong with the kernel) but everything that depends on the KDE settings (like playing You Tube videos in my browser) can not use the headset because the KDE audio settings do not work as expected.

There is of course a lot of material about sound and headsets in these forums and/or on the Internet but I have not yet found the trick to solve my problem.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Workaround Reply with quote

I found a simple workaround by creating two different asoundrc files:

asoundrcPCH
Code:
defaults.pcm.!card PCH
defaults.pcm.!device 0
defaults.pcm.!ctl PCH

aoundrcH540
Code:
defaults.pcm.!card H540
defaults.pcm.!device 0
defaults.pcm.!ctl H540

Copying the relevant one to .asoundrc and logout/login allows me to switch between speakers and headphones.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using PulseAudio, you may try media-sound/pavucontrol and see if it will help you switch the output device. Though do remember to switch it back, as I've seen where it will just stay with that selected even if it isn't present.
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Pulseaudio installed Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion.

I installed pulseaudio and removed the .asoundrc files. Now I can switch easily via pavucontrol.

I also installed pasystray but once I start it, it sits in the systray but is greyed out and I cannot click it. Any suggestion here?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: