Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Emacs USE Xaw3d -gtk what does frame look like, xft?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Emacs USE Xaw3d -gtk what does frame look like, xft? Reply with quote

I'm motivated to update my emacs-24 and emacs-vcs USE to address the known bug with emacs daemon, GTK and X disconnects:
Code:
Your current Emacs is compiled with GTK+. There is a long-standing
bug in GTK+ that prevents Emacs from recovering from X disconnects:
<http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=85715>
If you run Emacs as a daemon, then it is strongly recommended that
you compile it with the Lucid toolkit, i.e. with USE="Xaw3d -gtk".

I've run into this on many occasions, but X restarts are infrequent enough that I've just lived with the risk.

In what areas would graphical or capability differences be noticed with +Xaw3d -gtk?

I use Emacs full screen, with no menu or other window decoration. I never use GUI windows for file selection, etc. The only place I regularly see a widget is when shift-clicking to change font size in a frame (I can never remember the command to do that), and the in-buffer buttons on buffers like customize, etc.

Is the move away from GTK and GTK3 going to change the user experience other than widgets?
Code:
$ sudo emerge emacs emacs-vcs -pv
[ebuild   R    ] app-editors/emacs-24.1  USE="X alsa dbus gif gnutls gpm gtk gtk3 imagemagick jpeg
libxml2 png sound svg tiff xft xpm -Xaw3d (-aqua) -athena -games -gconf -gsettings -gzip-el -hesiod
-kerberos -livecd -m17n-lib -motif -pax_kernel (-selinux) -source -toolkit-scroll-bars -wide-int" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   #] app-editors/emacs-vcs-24.1.9999-r1  USE="X alsa dbus gif gnutls gpm gtk gtk3
imagemagick jpeg libxml2 png sound svg tiff xft xpm -Xaw3d -athena -games -gconf -gsettings
-gzip-el -hesiod -kerberos -m17n-lib -motif -pax_kernel (-selinux) -source -toolkit-scroll-bars
-wide-int" 0 kB

Thanks for any tips.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Emacs USE Xaw3d -gtk what does frame look like, xft? Reply with quote

jeffk wrote:
In what areas would graphical or capability differences be noticed with +Xaw3d -gtk?

I use Emacs full screen, with no menu or other window decoration. I never use GUI windows for file selection, etc. The only place I regularly see a widget is when shift-clicking to change font size in a frame (I can never remember the command to do that), and the in-buffer buttons on buffers like customize, etc.

tbh I don't expect this will help much because I'm not entirely sure but I've always built emacs myself and only since I think 22 or maybe 21 did I start using './configure ... --with-x-toolkit=gtk'; until then I had always used './configure ... --with-x-toolkit=athena' (which enables Xaw3d).

iirc the only real difference was visual in that the menubar/menus and scrollbar/arrows use the color/gradient effects of my gtk desktop theme which makes them stand out a bit more from buffer bg. I suspect perhaps modeline could be affected too but I think I'm overriding that somewhere (personal preference). with "athena" I think the menubar/menus at least picked up their color from ~/.Xdefaults 'emacs*Background' (how I did it anyway) so the affect made it more or less seamless visually.

so if there's some functionality aspect to using/not using gtk it's not something I was aware of or recall taking note of once I made the change.
papandreoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do i need to also -gtk3 ?
this is my use flags.
gtk3 is enabled.
should i also disable GTK3 or disabling GTK alone, is enough to not encounter this bug?

Code:
* Found these USE flags for app-editors/emacs-26.1_rc1:
 U I
 + + X                   : Add support for X11
 + + Xaw3d               : Add support for the 3d athena widget set
 + + acl                 : Add support for Access Control Lists
 + + alsa                : Add support for media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced Linux
                           Sound Architecture)
 - - athena              : Enable the MIT Athena widget set (x11-libs/libXaw)
 + + dbus                : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it
                           (gpsd, gnomemeeting, etc)
 - - dynamic-loading     : Enable loading of dynamic libraries at runtime
 - - games               : Support shared score files for games
 - - gconf               : Use gnome-base/gconf to read the system font name
 - - gfile               : Use gfile (dev-libs/glib) for file notification
 + + gif                 : Add GIF image support
 + + gpm                 : Add support for sys-libs/gpm (Console-based mouse
                           driver)
 - - gsettings           : Use gsettings (dev-libs/glib) to read the system
                           font name
 - - gtk                 : Add support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)
 + + gtk3                : Prefer version 3 of the GIMP Toolkit to version 2
                           (x11-libs/gtk+)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: