Erratic window resizing behavior with Nvidia and LXDE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Erratic window resizing behavior with Nvidia and LXDE Reply with quote

Hello,

I've setup Gentoo with the latest stable Gentoo sources, and installed the proprietary Nvidia driver. I also installed the LXDE and XFCE desktop environments as well as the Chromium browser. When I grab the lower right-hand corner of the Chromium window and drag the mouse to re-size, the graphics are choppy, then they get smooth, then get choppy again, so there is only a small drag area where I can resize without choppiness. I checked and 2D render acceleration shows in the Xorg.log. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

When I tried KDE this wasn't an issue, but KDE was too unstable for me so I'd like to try a different environment, thanks!
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nvidia blob is known for having bad 2D acceleration. In KDE it works because they use an OpenGL compositor. Does it work with nouveau?
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
The nvidia blob is known for having bad 2D acceleration.

It is? I haven't heard any issues since forever.

@trs: Does only Chrome give those issues or all apps?
trs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. The odd thing with KDE is I actually had Xrender selected in the compositing preferences as it was faster for me then the OpenGL option, maybe KDE did something that made other windows behave better with XRender.

I haven't tried nouveau with Gentoo yet, but when I tried out Crunchbang with the default nouveau driver, resizing seemed more consistent but a slight bit slower overall. I've even tried FreeBSD and had the same resizing slowness with Nvidia there, I'd sure love to figure out what is going on with Xorg/Nvidia/something else? Thanks
trs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gusar:

I also tried Firefox, and it seemed to exhibit the same behavior, although not quite as noticeable because it seemed to run slower overall then Chromium. Google Chrome also showed the issue
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trs wrote:
Thanks for the reply. The odd thing with KDE is I actually had Xrender selected in the compositing preferences as it was faster for me then the OpenGL option, maybe KDE did something that made other windows behave better with XRender.

KDE uses the Qt graphics system for 2D operations, which by default is set to "raster" (software rendering).
trs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KDE uses the Qt graphics system for 2D operations, which by default is set to "raster" (software rendering).

True, but I had enabled compositing from the preferences for desktop effects (to get things like transparent konsoles, etc) which required xrender or opengl
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: