Upgraded kernel cant boot past "booting the kernel" [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowdive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Upgraded kernel cant boot past "booting the kernel" Reply with quote

I updated a machine from 3.5.3-gentoo to 3.7.1-gentoo, and when I booted into the new kernel, the system would appear to hang immediately. The last thing I would see was "Booting the Kernel". The fix was to turn on VGA text console.

It wasn't actually frozen - the console output wasn't working, but the keyboard input was working. I could log in blindly and reboot, for instance.

I turned on early printk to see what was going on, and the last thing I saw was something about the console [tty0] enabling a dummy device, at which point it disables the bootconsole output and I would go back to seeing nothing.

Turns out that I didn't have VGA text console turned on. Some of my other systems had it on, so the option had been around for a little while, and somewhere between 3.5 and 3.7 it became mandatory (for my system).

The option is under Device Drivers -> Graphics support -> Console display driver support, and is called CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE.

Hope this helps someone else who has a similar problem.

keywords: boot hang 3.7 "Booting the kernel" blank "no display" console dummy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: