Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Advice on main python interpreter.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpkzz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Advice on main python interpreter. Reply with quote

Greetings OS-compilers:

Is it recommendable to set the main python interpreter to 3.3 or 3.4? I do not know if 2.7 is really needed for "basic system" or I can just have one single python for both the system and my personal needs.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by wpkzz on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, there is quite a few packages still depending on python 2.7, so you are going have to have that version at the very least. Last I saw, the use flag for 3.4 was still masked (the version is still perfectly able to install). So if you want only one version, stick with only 2.7. You won't be able to go with only one python compiler with 3.3 or 3.4.
wpkzz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey, but that is not exactly my question:

Could I set the main python interpreter to one of the 3.x versions? Even though i would still have the 2.7 as a subsidiary interpreter...
I guess I am just being a bit picky here, I would love that for root and user the "python" command is, by default, the 3.4 unless 2.7 is needed.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are fine on setting the main python interpreter to 3.3 or 3.4 through eselect (I've been running my system with the main set to 3.4 without much problem). Just be sure you do not get PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET in your make.conf. Setting that in your make.conf will cause you several issues for packages that depend on a different version (you would end up having to put them in your package.use specifying the needed version).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: