Installing external kernel modules
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Installing external kernel modules Reply with quote

I'm troubleshooting a networking problem, and want to try building my network card's kernel module separately.

The NIC is a Realtek RTL8111/8168. The kernel I'm using (3.7.10) doesn't list this in menuconfig. I've always used the driver for RTL8169 which until now has been OK, but I'm getting intermittent connectivity problems.

I've downloaded the driver from Realtek's website.

So, is it just a matter of untaring it, then 'make && make install' from a terminal in the directory that I untared it into, or do I have to do anything else to build and install it?

I know I have to deal with module loading as well, but I know what I'm doing with that.

Thanks
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really the answer to the question you were asking, but the r8168 driver is in portage as net-misc/r8168.
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurly wrote:
Not really the answer to the question you were asking, but the r8168 driver is in portage as net-misc/r8168.

OMG, thanks. I never even thought to look. 8O
verchiel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the same network card and the builtin driver didn't work for me so I had to build the module from the portage tree (r8168). I am now using the 3.8.6-geek kernel and the r8169 builtin driver works fine though.

Just in case you need some hints: http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Realtek_RTL8168 and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-885802.html

Cheers
Dan
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

verchiel wrote:
I am using the same network card and the builtin driver didn't work for me so I had to build the module from the portage tree (r8168). I am now using the 3.8.6-geek kernel and the r8169 builtin driver works fine though.

Just in case you need some hints: http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Realtek_RTL8168 and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-885802.html

Cheers
Dan

I think I've fixed the problem; it's hard to be sure though because I did have periods of relative normality before. Having fought for days with it, including (as asked about here) using the 'proper' kernel driver, what seems to have done the trick is using dhcp rather than a static ip address. It makes no sense to me why this would work, as there were definitely no ip address conflicts on my LAN, but at least for now, it's looking good.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: