Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Full backup] to a Synology NAS ? (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: [Full backup] to a Synology NAS ? (solved) Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm planning to make new backup for my server (OS, data, ...). And since I've got now a NAS, it should be very interesting to use it as backup storage.

So, how can I do it ... any idea ... ? What about a rsync of the whole "/" tree ??? I also thought to create TAR file ... and use netcat (nc) to avoid disk usage for creation on the local server ... but with Synology, no netcat at all by default and so, not a good idea ...

Seriously, does rsync could do the trick ? What will happen ???

Thanks

Last edited by loopx on Tue May 29, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a NAS implies some kind of network share protocol (usually smb/cifs, maybe also nfs). And as you usually (at least in my experience) do not have proper access to the underlying FS, I would use tar for storing that backup data.

assuming you want to keep it simple, have only /boot, / and /home as separate partitions, and want to use one single tarball for backup. you backup share is mounted in /mnt/backup
Code:
 tar czf /mnt/backup/backupfile.tar.gz --one-file-system / /boot /home

V.
loopx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi (sorry for the delay),

Thanks for your reply. I've made some search and learned how VMware Converter tool is working and now, I got a good way to do backup.

First, you should add "--sparse" as argument for "tar" command, this is to avoid to backup a whole empty file.

Second, use SSH and STDOUT to transmit the archive.

So, here is my command to run on the host to backup (only for "/") (to adapt to your use) :
Code:
tar --one-file-system --sparse -C / -cf - . | ssh -c blowfish root@syno "cd /volume1/backup/host && gzip -f > server.tar.gz"

This example is working fine with a Synology NAS as backend storage. Data is packaged into TAR file, transmitted over the network and then, is compacted on the NAS. You can remove "gzip -f" and use "cat" to avoid compression on NAS side. You can also add "z" flag to the "TAR" command on the host side : it's very flexible.

I'm very happy with that and VMware is happy too 8)

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: