[solved]Errors compiling gentoo-sources-3.4.0/genkernel prob
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: [solved]Errors compiling gentoo-sources-3.4.0/genkernel prob Reply with quote

Hello,

I decided to test gentoo-sources-3.4.0 and this is what happened.

Code:

drivers/scsi/advansys.c:71:2: attention : #warning this driver is still not properly converted to the DMA API

Warning are treated as errors so this stopped the compilation. I desactivated advansys from .config (I do not need this module, it was just there for no special reason) but if other people need I could find a patch. http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/5/21/1899454

Code:

CC [M]  drivers/scsi/lpfc/lpfc_bsg.o
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
drivers/scsi/lpfc/lpfc_scsi.c: In function ‘lpfc_bg_setup_bpl’:
drivers/scsi/lpfc/lpfc_scsi.c:1900:11: error: unused variable ‘rc’

Again, -Werror problem. This thread http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1301034 says we can just remove -Werror from /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/lpfc/Makefile so I did it.

Code:

CC      util-linux/volume_id/sysv.o
util-linux/mkfs_ext2.c:51:27: fatal error: linux/ext2_fs.h : No such file or folder

This is where I gave up for now.

If you have advices they are welcome
Thank you

ecko

Last edited by ecko on Tue May 22, 2012 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkphader
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Errors compiling gentoo-sources-3.4.0 Reply with quote

ecko wrote:
I decided to test gentoo-sources-3.4.0

How did you configure the kernel? When moving between some major release points (possibly like 3.3.x to 3.4.x) the kernel should be configured from scratch and not by using the previous config file with "make oldconfig".
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Errors compiling gentoo-sources-3.4.0 Reply with quote

darkphader wrote:

How did you configure the kernel? When moving between some major release points (possibly like 3.3.x to 3.4.x) the kernel should be configured from scratch and not by using the previous config file with "make oldconfig".

I usually copy the file from the old major release to the new directory, then make menuconfig, do some dummy editing even if do not want to change anything, then exit and save. In the present case it was done several times since I wanted to remove some device drivers I do not need.

Now the picture changed, I think genkernel-3.4.24_p1 (stabilized yesterday, see bug #415483) is guilty.

I compile with
Code:
genkernel --no-clean --no-mrproper --makeopts=-j9 --oldconfig all

I can go into /usr/src/linux, type make && make modules, and it compiles. But if I run again the genkernel (3.4.24_p1) command, it fails the same way. I reverted to genkernel 3.4.20 and it works.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: