X hangs on power save
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotivatedTea
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: X hangs on power save Reply with quote

Whenever my laptop screen goes into power-save, X freezes. Initially, the screen stays black and will not come back on. Trying to switch to a console (Ctrl+F1) doesn't work either. After another minute or two, /usr/bni/X hangs using 100% of the CPU. There are no error messages in any of the logs. I can still log into the machine via SSH, and everything else seems to be fine. But the only way to get the screen back is "killall -9 X" followed by "/etc/init.d/xdm restart". (Just "/etc/init.d/xdm restart" hangs trying to shut down X.)

I can't see any error messages in any logs - nothing in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, nothing in /var/log/messages or dmesg. This happens either at the kdm login screen or when logged into KDE as a user. I don't even know how to start debugging this.

My graphics card is a rather old, somewhat rare nVidia mobile card:
Code:
 # lspci | grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72M [Quadro NVS 110M] (rev a1)

I am not using any Xorg.conf.

Disabling DPMS altogether seems to prevent X from hanging, but that's not an ideal solution. Any suggestions?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: