Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navar wrote:
...S/370 (assembly was such a 'joy' here), ...
Really? It's instruction set is a mix between CISC (some of it very high level; e.g., the decimal arithmetic instructions) and what you'd expect from modern RISC architectures (e.g., no stack: "Branch And Link" instead of "call"). I found it interesting. The only real impediment was the 4k segment size, which, I admit, was a little bit of a pain.

- John
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Navar wrote:
...S/370 (assembly was such a 'joy' here), ...
Really? [...] I found it interesting. The only real impediment was the 4k segment size, which, I admit, was a little bit of a pain.

EBCDIC. Some variant of BCD. And a number of other 'IBMisms' (vs what other industry did) from what I remember from 2 decades ago. I thought I recalled the S/370 set to be rather large and more CISC oriented, but other than memory addressing schemes not in regular instructions, the details on what makes something considered RISC anymore vary and are blurry to me. I preferred MC68000 in use for general purpose microcomputing on embedded controllers. Even an Intel 8088 clone by NEC used in the Psion 3a was more appealing although little endianness sometimes forced a mental double-take.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was third post on this thread, but I responded as to "recent history". Then here I see some really old stuff.

I was introduced to computing with Algol (not sure if it was 60 or 68) in college "math lab" on the Univac 1108. Also in college I did a little Fortran, PDP-11 assempler, a little Univac 1108 assembler, a little time-share spice, and 8080 assembler.

When I joined the working world I worked with MVS/TSO along with JCL and Clist, and learned JCL Pascal, then started using VM/CMS and Rexx. Somewhere around there I got a CoCo, learned a little Basic, and learned 6809 assembly language. I also picked up Series/1 EDX and assembler. Spend time with DOS, then moved to OS/2 1.2 and 1.3 after having given up on 1.0 and 1.1. I also used OS/2 2+. Somewhere in there I picked up Modula-2 and did quite a bit with that, including re-entrant interrupt handlers, legacy binary data, etc. After that we moved to AIX, then more recently Linux.

As OS/2 was going away I moved to Linux at home. I looked a long time at the RedHat books at the bookstores, than included 3.03 CDs with them. I finally tried RedHat 4.0, but really took the plunge at 4.1.

Cut back to post #3 on this thread for the rest.
Jean-Paul
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LoTek,
one day I decide five years Crux is enough, so I installed Gentoo.
And no, I think Gentoo is much more than portage.

Years ago I tried Lunar. It was a disaster. My MBR was overwritten and the Kernel wont build at all.
I tried SourceMage instead which worked fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: