Cannot boot after power failure while in sleep mode
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesha_n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Cannot boot after power failure while in sleep mode Reply with quote

Dear Gentoo experts,

I cannot boot after a power failure at my home during which my system was in the sleep mode. When I boot (kernel 2.6.39) in the usual way I very quickly get the following prompt:

Code:

This is (none).unknown_domain (Linux x86_64 2.6.39-gentoo-r3)

(none) login:

At this point I can log in as my normal user, but not as root (get Login incorrect). After logging in as the normal user I get:

Code:

Unable to change owner or mode of tty stdin: Read-only file systemNo directory, logging in with HOME=/

I am stuck, would be grateful for any ideas how to troubleshoot this!

Best regards,
Aleksey
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
a power failure mean that the mounted filesystems of your Gentoo have been quit in an unclean state. If you boot on a read only root filesystem, that's mean you need to check it first an others unclean one to. So, boot on a Linux media that allow you to make a fsck on those to make them clean. Than, your subsequent Gentoo boot can be normal.
lesha_n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien,

Thank you for your help. Following your advice I booted with Gentoo LiveDVD 12.1 and ran fsck on the root (/) filesystem, as well as on /usr, /home, /tmp, /var and /opt (note that all of these filesystems except / are under LVM, but their volume group and logical volumes were correctly found & activated with vgscan and vgchange -a y).

fsck was clean on all except /var where a few problems were fixed.

I am able to mount all of these and list their contents, at first glance looks fine.

When trying a normal boot after that I still get the exact same error as before. Not sure how to debug this further. dmesg does not seem to indicate anything that I recognize as relevant. Are there other logs I can check to pinpoint the exact problem that happens on boot?

Thanks a lot!
Aleksey

Logicien wrote:
Hi,
a power failure mean that the mounted filesystems of your Gentoo have been quit in an unclean state. If you boot on a read only root filesystem, that's mean you need to check it first an others unclean one to. So, boot on a Linux media that allow you to make a fsck on those to make them clean. Than, your subsequent Gentoo boot can be normal.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use LVM. I don't know how it behave. You can try to pass the rw parameter to your Linux kernel to force it to mount the root partition as read write. A problem can occur if fsck have to work on boot. It will complain that the root partition is not read only. That can drop you to a shell or even worst. In that setup, /etc/fstab must not be configure to check the root filesystem. It's anyway just a workaround.
lesha_n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I tried out your suggestions, unfortunately nothing worked, still getting the same thing. Here is what I tried:

• Booting with LiveDVD and editing /etc/fstab entry for my / to set the sixth field (fs_passno) to 0 to avoid running fsck on boot for the / partition
  • Passing rw option to the kernel

I do not think LVM matters, I just included that info for completeness (and / is not under LVM anyway).

My basic problem is that I cannot even see the boot messages, since the screen is very rapidly cleared when I get dropped to the shell. dmesg does not seem useful, and /var/log/messages does not seem to exist. How could I see the boot-up messages to get a clue of what's going on?

Does anyone have any idea what to try next?

Many thanks,
Aleksey
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tring to understand,

can you remount your root partition as read/write from the shell you get? That would make possible to work on the system. You can try to change the runlevel to 1 from the kernel command line, or from /etc/inittab to disable services and get administrative rights.
slydini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that /var was the one that needed repairs leads me to want to check the var directory very closely. Maybe the kernel is unable to write it's messages to /var/log. Check all the permissions on the directories and /etc/fstab should be similar to the /etc/fstab on a working system.

The hostname is not showing up in the login prompt and that info is in the /etc directory so check all of the related config files in there too. This always reminds me how important it is to have a backup on hand for just such an emergency.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: