View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: KDE 4.8.2 extremely slow on diskless (NFS root) workstation Reply with quote

Anybody care to suggest why ? XFCE, while obviously not blazing, is acceptable; but KDE applications, even Konsole, take more than a minute to launch. They're not to bad when running, but why so slow to start ? I'm using prelinking, BTW, and setting KDE_IS_PRELINKED=1 but it makes no difference.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you launching those KDE apps from a full KDE environment? Or from some other X session (like XFCE)?

I can't provide details because they are opaque to me too, but nowadays KDE apps are extremely picky about the environment they are launched from - basically starting a new KDE environment every time.

Try something like this (in an xterm from another DE):

Code:

export $(dbus-launch)
ksomethingapp &

Does this make a difference?
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try something like this (in an xterm from another DE):

Code:
export $(dbus-launch)
ksomethingapp &

Does this make a difference?
Not really but it does shed some light on the situation. It really is simply the case that KDE applications do a lot more than XFCE. For example, Kontact takes more than 30 seconds to fire up, but it is spitting out messages throughout the process, most of them related to the infernal 'akonadi' process. It might be possible to shave a few seconds off; for example, the message search paths: ("/usr/lib/kde4/plugins", "/usr/lib/qt4/plugins", "/usr/bin", "/home/mounty/.kde4/lib/kde4/", "/usr/lib/kde4/") occurs 13 times; but there's no long inexplicable pause. It's a 1 GiB/s connection; a file of 1102118400 bytes is copied in 15.9 s, which fits.

Thanks for your reply but it looks like nothing is really wrong; it's just that KDE4 is too heavy for my kit.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to use full KDE perhaps. emerge kdebase-meta instead of emerge kde-meta installs a much leaner enivornment
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
You don't have to use full KDE perhaps. emerge kdebase-meta instead of emerge kde-meta installs a much leaner enivornment
An easy statement to make, but rather more difficult to investigate. Do you have any argument to support the claim ? I can understand that USE flags can affect the build, but not the set of packages. For example, Kontact is pulled-in by emerge kdebase-kontact and that will pull-in any other packages on which it depends.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything that hooks back in to akonadi or nepomuk is going to be fairly heavy on the disk. Things are just too intertwined/integrated in that respect as far as KDE goes - in a diskless environment like this i would expect the impact of this to be exacerbated.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mounty1 wrote:
dmpogo wrote:
An easy statement to make, but rather more difficult to investigate. Do you have any argument to support the claim ? I can understand that USE flags can affect the build, but not the set of packages. For example, Kontact is pulled-in by emerge kdebase-kontact and that will pull-in any other packages on which it depends.

What do you mean ? This my install, runs on 800 Mhz laptop with 2GB ram just fine and opens konsole without any delay :) No nepomunk akonadi
or pulseaudion, USE='-semantic-desktop'. No kontact as well. Now if you do need kontact and it needs akonadi, then of course, but you won't be running it under XFCE as well.

set of packages is affected by dependences. kdebase-meta loads much less packages than kde-meta but creates a working environment. Some of the remaining package you can add judiciously separately, but some of them of course can be so intertwined that will pull all the bulk rest of kde.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling the semantic-desktop stuff will certainly have an impact if the problem is all this nepomuk and akonadi stuff (to what degree or even if it will be noticeable, that I can't tell).

Dependencies will not.

The issue here is probably network (and probably latency)-related. I'd report this in bugs.kde.org. Check first, of course.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: