Fluxbox vs Openbox
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SadLittlePony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Fluxbox vs Openbox Reply with quote

I have been looking around and I cant find much more info than open uses XML and Flux does not. I have seen some screenshots and Open looks more customized. I am having a hard time deciding. Can someone provide a bit more info?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them both installed and they both are extremely similar. They do not take long to install so the best way to get a feel for them would be to emerge them both. One really big difference is that fluxbox has a bar on the bottem of the screen where the minimized windows go. I have not seen one included openbox, but I havn't looked very hard.

Also, you might want to consider using lxde. It is very light and adds a finished feel to openbox, although it will run with fluxbox as well.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
SadLittlePony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Well my goal is to avoid using a task bar of some kind. I would rather use the desktop as my workspace. I would like to be able to minimize the windows to the bottom but have them still be their own window that I could drag up. I had that in a build of Fedora 9 I had.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadLittlePony wrote:
Awesome! Well my goal is to avoid using a task bar of some kind. I would rather use the desktop as my workspace. I would like to be able to minimize the windows to the bottom but have them still be their own window that I could drag up. I had that in a build of Fedora 9 I had.

Fvwm can "Iconify" the windows without the need for a taskbar, in case you want to take a look into it.

Back on topic, I think both (flux and open) are quite similar in what they can do. Openbox has a more polished look to me, it has more advanced capabilities than fluxbox does, but you probably won't notice that for basic window management. I also have the -admittedly subjective- feel that openbox is more actively maintained, but that might very well be just my incorrect opinion.

Fluxbox brings things that you might consider unnecessary, but they can be disabled at compile time (via USE flags in Gentoo). So that should not be a problem if for some reason you happen to like it better than openbox.
SadLittlePony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally know I am going with Openbox then. From what I hear there is no reason not to unless your a linux virgin and you need a little aid. Besides that I know a bit of XML and what Flux runs I never even heard of
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: