Gnome help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravelink69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Gnome help Reply with quote

I didnt want to ask before I spent some time looking things up but its been 2 days of constant trying different things and I cannot seem to get a grasp on whats going on. I installed gnome by using the documents listed on the gentoo home page. I got gnome to install, it goes to the log on screen and I can log in. When I log in it only shows a white terminal window. I did some reading around and found out I can type gnome-panel and the panel pops up. I can type nautilus and ill get a different desktop back ground and I am able to use the right click function but the panel then goes away. I edited the /usr/bin/gnome-session-properties and added the panel and nautilus to the start up things and now I can run them both at the same time but not on start up. I dont really know where to go from here. I cant tell if this is how its suppose to be happening and im maybe missing something that I need to install or if my entire install is all messed up. Can someone please guide me in the proper direction?

Oh and is there a way to find out what version of gnome im running?

(also, its later here so if I do not reply right away then I may have fallen asleep, but I will be on for a little bit longer.)

Thank you in advance.
Arkhelion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr, you shouldn't have to do any of those. Gnome should work pretty much out-of-the-box...

What DM are you using? GDM? did you modify /etc/conf.d/xdm by putting GDM in there. When you login, do you have a scrolling list to choose your DE? (you should choose Gnome there)?
ravelink69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Thank you for the reply. I used the following link to set up gnome. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnome-config.xml

At the bottom it says to emerge gdm so that is what I am using.

here is my /etc/conf.d/xdm looks like:
Code:
# We always try and start X on a static VT. The various DMs normally default
# to using VT7. If you wish to use the xdm init script, then you should ensure
# that the VT checked is the same VT your DM wants to use. We do this check to
# ensure that you haven't accidentally configured something to run on the VT
# in your /etc/inittab file so that you don't get a dead keyboard.
CHECKVT=7

# What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm | gpe | entrance ]
# NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"

And i did click gnome in that drop down box. When it logs in I get some generic blue back ground and then a white terminal box. After a few seconds it will load a dark blue gentoo back ground and then the panel will load up along with the right click support (this just started happening after I made this post) but I am unable to close the terminal or move it around.
ravelink69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like if I leave it at this weird looking desktop for a while it will eventually boot into the actual gnome desktop. Takes about 30 seconds. I dont know if there is a way to speed that up or not. There are not any close buttons in the top of windows however, but thats a different problem. So i guess technically this thread doesnt need to be open anymore, but I cant really say its solved...

Thank you for the help.
Arkhelion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the effect of changing "exec gnome-session" with "exec ck-launch-session /etc/X11/Sessions/Gnome" int your .xinitrc?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: