[solved] Problems compiling gtkhtml
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dansou90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: [solved] Problems compiling gtkhtml Reply with quote

Because this new problem isn't related to Gnome 3.4 anymore but to Gnome 3.2, I post it here and make a new thread.

When I try to compile gtkhtml, it exits every time with the same error. My build.log is located at http://pastebin.com/f6S5chuz

Any ideas?

Last edited by dansou90 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it is related to Gnome 3.4, or more exactly to glib 2.32.
There were certain changes made in glib pkgconfig files, that need a fix or two in a few places (and most likely Gnome 3.4 version of gtkhtml has them).
dansou90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But gtkhtml-4.3.2 is pulled in by Gnome 3.4, while gtkhtml-4.2.2 is pulled in by Gnome 3.2, or am I missing something?
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I already said, the version of gtkhtml in Gnome 3.4 has a fix for this problem (you can check its git log).
lebel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have the exact same problem with my current build of Gnome. Both gtkhtml and gnome-utils has the g_thread_init missing issue.

I guess I'll have to wait a bit still.
dansou90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the error: In the file components/editor/main.c in the gtkhtml package there is a line saying

Code:
g_thread_init (NULL);

This line has to be changed to

Code:
g_type_init();

then it compiles just fine. I guess in gnome-utils there is a similar problem. The Use of g_thread_init is deprecated and gtkhtml isn't actively developed anymore, so it has become old over the last years...

But another question: How do I tell portage that a package is already in the system if it isn't compiled by portage?
gorkypl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansou90 wrote:
How do I tell portage that a package is already in the system if it isn't compiled by portage?

Put the name in /etc/portage/package.provided
dansou90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your record: It had to be /etc/portage/profile/package.provided

Anyway, thanks for the direction! Now it is compiling again :) Let's see if it will be ready today so I can use it in my presentation tomorrow...
dansou90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now evolution doesn't find GTKHTML... see the configuration error:

Code:
configure: error: Package requirements (libgtkhtml-4.0 >= 4.1.2) were not met:

No package 'libgtkhtml-4.0' found

How do I have to change the configure file of evolution that it works?
dansou90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I should provide the configure file so you don't have to search for it...

http://ifile.it/sd5xyc0

Maybe someone figures out how to tell evolution that gtkhtml is in its place...
dansou90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind... it was my mistake: installing a package using the ebuild commands configure, compile and install doesn't install the binaries and libs properly... at least not for me. So I had to go in the work directory of gtkhtml and to do a "make install" which did the job... and evolution compiles again :)
dansou90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the above fix, everything works fine! Now I have a working Gnome 3.2 environment... Thank you all for your great help! :)
MisterMagister
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having this same issue and none of the fixes I've located in the forums are working for me. Man, Gnome is just a COMPLETE train wreck these days,isn't it?

Running an ~amd64 system with KDE 4.9 running great, and trying to emerge Gnome 2.32.1-r2 with Gnome 3 masked out using this package mask.

So I first tried to apply the patch above, but my patched gtkhtml won't compile. It won't even get out of the gate:

Code:
gtkhtml-3.32.2 # make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gtkhtml-3.32.2'
Making all in a11y
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gtkhtml-3.32.2/a11y'
  CC     cell.lo
  CC     factory.lo
  CC     html.lo
  CC     hyperlink.lo
hyperlink.c:40:1: error: unknown type name 'G_CONST_RETURN'
hyperlink.c:40:29: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token
hyperlink.c:41:1: error: unknown type name 'G_CONST_RETURN'
hyperlink.c:41:29: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token
hyperlink.c: In function 'atk_action_interface_init':
hyperlink.c:85:27: error: 'html_a11y_hyper_link_get_description' undeclared (first use in this function)
hyperlink.c:85:27: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
hyperlink.c:86:27: error: 'html_a11y_hyper_link_get_name' undeclared (first use in this function)
hyperlink.c: At top level:
hyperlink.c:190:1: error: unknown type name 'G_CONST_RETURN'
hyperlink.c:190:29: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token
hyperlink.c:204:1: error: unknown type name 'G_CONST_RETURN'
hyperlink.c:204:29: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token
make[2]: *** [hyperlink.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gtkhtml-3.32.2/a11y'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gtkhtml-3.32.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Then I tried to unmask a newer version of gtkhtml. I unmasked and emerged gtkhtml-4.4.4, but something in Gnome just INSISTS on pulling in 3.32.2. I've looked at the tree to try and see what's pulling it in, but I can't figure it out. Gnome will not accept the newer version.

So then I tried to mask glib-2.32 and use 2.30, but just like the other package something INSISTED on pulling in 2.32 and the whole thing choked because a required package was masked.

Finally, I remembered that I built Gnome 2.32 successfully on an AMD stable system recently, so I edited my make.conf and commented out the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" line and tried 'emerge gnome' again. This time it pulled in glib-2.30 (downgrading a couple of cups packages, but that's fine), but glib-2.30 won't compile.

Code:
checking for LIBFFI... no
configure: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/work/glib-2.30.3':
configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBFFI_CFLAGS
and LIBFFI_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
See `config.log' for more details

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/work/glib-2.30.3/config.log
 * ERROR: dev-libs/glib-2.30.3 failed (configure phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *          ebuild.sh, line   85:  Called src_configure
 *        environment, line 6250:  Called econf '--disable-xattr' '--disable-man' '--disable-gtk-doc' '--disable-fam' '--disable-selinux' '--enable-static' '--disable-dtrace' '--disable-systemtap' '--enable-regex' '--with-pcre=internal' '--with-threads=posix'
 *   phase-helpers.sh, line  467:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *                      die "econf failed"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-libs/glib-2.30.3'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-libs/glib-2.30.3'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/work/glib-2.30.3'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/work/glib-2.30.3'

>>> Failed to emerge dev-libs/glib-2.30.3, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package dev-libs/glib-2.30.3:

* ERROR: dev-libs/glib-2.30.3 failed (configure phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *          ebuild.sh, line   85:  Called src_configure
 *        environment, line 6250:  Called econf '--disable-xattr' '--disable-man' '--disable-gtk-doc' '--disable-fam' '--disable-selinux' '--enable-static' '--disable-dtrace' '--disable-systemtap' '--enable-regex' '--with-pcre=internal' '--with-threads=posix'
 *   phase-helpers.sh, line  467:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *                      die "econf failed"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-libs/glib-2.30.3'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-libs/glib-2.30.3'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/work/glib-2.30.3'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/work/glib-2.30.3'

Any help much appreciated, as I'm pretty well stuck and completely out of ideas here.
dansou90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please post your config.log and your build.log of glib-2.30 and also the configure script itself? As it already says, maybe it is too old for the version of pkg-config you are runníng. Information about this would be helpful too.

By the way, your package mask doesn't mask Gnome 3.2, but Gnome 3.0 (there are only a few Gnome 3.2 packages at the top). The Gnome meta package masked is Gnome 3.0. So maybe you should adjust the version numbers there a bit, too.

I hope you got a few ideas from this.

Just one last thing: In this thread, I definitely made a big mistake when it comes to compiling packages without portage. This is very dangerous and can screw up your whole system. Finally, I ended up setting up a local overlayand putting the patches in there (There is a good tutorial for this, I currently don't remember the link, just search for it in the forums, I posted it in another thread). Doing this, you also get rid of the package.provided, as everything is controlled via portage as it should be.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: