Quick Search: in
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hd_lowrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Log into X (xterm) or kde Reply with quote

Ok, here is what I would like to do: log in as user and start X (xterm) or kde. As it is now startx brings up kde and su -c startx starts X (xterm), I would like to bring up X (xterm) without su (as the same user).

Thanks in advance

Last edited by hd_lowrider on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If startx will start kde, I believe X should just start x. If you want to use a different command, then check out the alias man pages. It is a nifty little tool that would condense your string of commands down to one of your choosing.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
hd_lowrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X just locks up computer and black screen, will have to do some checking. Thanks that seems to be the right direction.

edit: ok.....

as "su" startx brings up xorg/xterm, X just black screen
as "reg user" startx brings up kde , X just black screen

I do not understand the difference between startx and X (I have read the difference but do not understand how to use it).
Do I need to create a config file to be able to use X command? How will this effect startx?

Last edited by hd_lowrider on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
mvaterlaus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X starts the xorg server directly without any additional graphical tools or so. startx [1] is a script which does the following: if you have an .xinitrc file in your home directory, then the startx script executes the commands in this file. if you do not have this file, startx reads the value in the XSESSION variable and starts the according session.
i do not know the concrete logic of the startx script, but maybe you can give it a parameter which will be interpreted in the .xinitrc file, and upon them starts the according components you want.

[1]http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml#using_startx
hd_lowrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvaterlaus wrote:
maybe you can give it a parameter which will be interpreted in the .xinitrc file, and upon them starts the according components you want.

Maybe if I knew what the heck I was doing I could accomplish this task :lol: .

Let me see if I understand what you are saying... several hours later... nope went right over my head :oops: .

the only thing I do understand is that with the .xinitrc file
Code:
exec startkde

kde loads, without it xterm loads

At this point I am about ready to skip this step and move on to something else I will try again when I have a little better understanding of Linux/Gentoo.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let me see if I understand what you are saying... several hours later...

This may help:
Code:
man startx
man X
man <foo>
where <foo> is the command you wish to understand.
This can be a consequence of ignoring the man pages

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
hd_lowrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin swordmaster wrote:

This may help:
Code:
man startx
man X
man <foo>

man pages, as in: manual pages, :oops: I seem to have over looked that little tidbit of information, I thought the handbook was the manual :oops: . I am viewing the man pages online (I have dual 24in. monitors, makes for much better reading, 4 pages at once) at linux die.net. Any recommendations on sites to view these pages?

Thanks You for the information (not just RTFM)

Now I feel bad, for I have given the advice RTFM on several occasions.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appologize if what I said came off as rtfm, that was not my intention.
hmm.. I don't know of any website in particular. I usually just use a console and run the command.

For example, if you run man startx, at the end it references exec twm. I think this is what you mean by "start xorg" because it is ussually installed as a test before installing a heavy window manager. If it is you can set up an alias for a more convent command.

hd_lowrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appologize if what I said came off as rtfm, that was not my intention.

NO,NO, not at all, that's what I was trying to say, you could have just said rtfm and left it at that (which I have done it the past) but you took the extra time to explain things step by step (Thanks) and then you said rtfm :P . I missed the man pages all together :oops: . Thank you for pointing then out so kindly (holding my hand) :lol: .

I usually just use a console and run the command.

I installed Gentoo on an old hp dv 5000 laptop but I have been using 2 desktops and 3 monitors to search the handbook, google, wiki, these forms and anything else I could find, oh yea and now the man pages. I started this project last week to learn Linux/Gentoo over spring break, I have some spare time so I figured it would be a good learning experience. Well I have learned that I won't be mastering Linux over the weekend, but maybe by next spring break I will have a much better understanding.

Right now my brain is pretty much fried (and not in the good way) I think I'll take the rest of spring break and take a break (well probably not).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: