rdiff-backup-fs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: rdiff-backup-fs? Reply with quote

Hi!
I couldn't find it here or any reference in bugzilla. Is there an ebuild for it somewhere (recent version).
Is it even worth the hassle, has someone running?
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? Is really nobody using this? I find the idea to browse my backups with dolphin rather than cryptic command line options rather interesting. The old archfs version in portage was not really useful, just ate up my whole memory...
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martux wrote:
Huh? Is really nobody using this? I find the idea to browse my backups with dolphin rather than cryptic command line options rather interesting. The old archfs version in portage was not really useful, just ate up my whole memory...

I had never heard of it until now. I use rdiff-backup for my systems, so I would love something like this. Of course, the reason there may not be a current ebuild for it is it looks like just a school software project...these types of projects tend to be abandoned rather quickly once the student has graduated or moved on. Also, rdiff-backup seems to be legacy code now anyway...not actively maintained.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is truly bad. Rdiff-backup is the most nifty solution I ever found. All I am missing is really browsing through previously generated content.
Even a frontend would be OK, but noone seems to care :(
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting from the link:

Quote:
it will provide access to snapshot of the repository for every increment that had been done. Directory structure will be the same as the backed up directory at the time of the increment.

Seems like someone wants to reinvent the wheel. Rsnapshot does exactly this, using the same magic behind the scene as rdiff-backup: rsync. With rsnapshot, you have subdirectories like "weekly.0", "weekly.1" etc. Each one provides a view to the source directories like they have been at the time of the backup. Space requirement stays low because hard links are used between snapshots for unchanged files. Disadvantage: You have no eays way to tell which files were changed between snapshots.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try rdup (http://www.miek.nl/projects/rdup or sunrise overlay for an ebuild)
malern
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apheus wrote:
Seems like someone wants to reinvent the wheel. Rsnapshot does exactly this

The big advantage of rdiff-backup over rsnapshot is if the files differ it only stores the difference (and not the whole file again like rsnapshot does). If you have large files that change often then it is much more efficient to back them up with rdiff-backup. For example, my database snapshots are only a few MB each with rdiff-backup, whereas they were at least 1GB each when I used an rsnapshot style system previously.
matsaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should work fine in an overlay:
https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-fs/rdiff-backup-fs/?hideattic=0
Code:
curl -s 'https://github.com/rbrito/rdiff-backup-fs/archive/v1.0.0.tar.gz' > /usr/portage/distfiles/rdiff-backup-fs-1.0.0.tar.gz

Here's the weird bug that references a weird usage that they used to justify its removal: http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?35655 (via: https://bugs.gentoo.org/533626)

I've read bup and attic might make good rdiff-backup replacements, but they'd have to be about as simple as rdiff-backup & rdiff-backup-fs for me to switch.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: