View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSnake
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: X can't start Reply with quote

Hello guys! This is my first time trying to install Gentoo and I totally fell in love with the distro. BUT there are a lot of things that I don't understand since I'm kinda new in the Linux environment.
I've installed Gentoo, configured the bootloader and so on... SUCCESS! I started downloading XFCE and X but I cannot make them start. I think that I configured my Kernel in the right way but the log says that X can't find the i915 module and that there are no screens.
I tried to mod the conf files but I can't find them in the standard paths.
I've got the HP Probook 4530s with hybrid graphics.

Thank you guys!
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi & welcome to the forums :)

You did setup/emerge the correct drivers? For the Intel part, that would be x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel, for the other part of the hybrid, nvidia-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau or the ati-drivers/xf86-video-ati would be needed, depending on your hardware.

Can you tell, which graphicscard is active by default? Are all needed modules built and loaded?
GSnake
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've built all the modules but I haven't emerged the Intel ones (i followed the default tutorial) and I've emerged radeon-ucode.
Since I'm a little bit confuse, could you tell me what radeon-ucode is? What's the difference between modules, drivers and firmware?
Thanks again!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSnake,

A module is like a plug in. Loading it provides certain functiononality to something.
Both the kernel and Xorg use modules.
In the case of the intel graphics driver for Xorg, it comes in two pieces. There is a kernel piece and an Xorg piece.
You need both pieces for the card to work in Xorg.

A driver is a piece of code that exposes some hardware to the kernel in a stanard way so that higher level code can work with it.
It provides only the hardware specific code.

Firmware is something loaded into a device to make it work because the designers decided to leave out the FLASH memory to store the something.
Its also very easy to update firmware provided in the way. What the firmware does varies from device to device. e.g. it could be code for an embedded microprocessor, or a state table for a state machine.

radeon-ucode is the code needed my Radeon grpahics card so that they can do 3D hardware graphics acceleration. Its the code that runs in the GPU.
You only need it if you have a radeon graphics card. The card will work without it but you won't get 3D hardware graphics acceleration.
dmesg will tell you if it was loaded or searched for but not found.

There is really no clear boundary around the terms module and driver.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
GSnake
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!
So I should download the i915 modules for Xorg right?
tetromino
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSnake wrote:
So I should download the i915 modules for Xorg right?

No, not download. i915 is the name of the kernel module for Intel graphics cards. You need to enable it in your kernel configuration, then recompile and install the kernel and modules, and reboot. See the "Intel settings" section in the Gentoo X server configuration guide for the kernel configuration you need. See the kernel upgrade guide for how to compile and install a kernel.
GSnake
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already did that yesterday but It still doesn't work. I use genkernel - - menuconfig all.

EDIT: SOLVED! I made both radeon and intel drivers default for the framebuffer! Now I've disabled the radeon one and everything works like a charm! Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: