Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Isn't upgrading whole gentoo system a time consuming task?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Isn't upgrading whole gentoo system a time consuming task? Reply with quote

Code:

emerge --sync
emerge --update --ask world

This would update whole gentoo system. Compiling packages it would install those packages. So upgrading all packages should take much more time than any other linux distrobution.

Isn't that the biggest problem of gentoo?
anb.clarke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-928424-highlight-.html

Isn't this really the same question!

Control (v) Usability...

A clearer understanding of how gentoo works will help you work through some of these questions for yourself.
Your friend here is Gentoo Docs. Take some time and read through some of them.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=sysadmin

ie., A fuller update would result from emerge -uDN world.
colag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anb.clarke wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-928424-highlight-.html

Isn't this really the same question!

Control (v) Usability...

A clearer understanding of how gentoo works will help you work through some of these questions for yourself.
Your friend here is Gentoo Docs. Take some time and read through some of them.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=sysadmin

ie., A fuller update would result from emerge -uDN world.

No, these two are not same question.
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are : "Is gentoo for me? how is Gentoo compared with X and Y?"
Please don't start new threads.
colag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XavierMiller wrote:
Yes, they are : "Is gentoo for me? how is Gentoo compared with X and Y?"
Please don't start new threads.

Then where would i merge or write these questions?
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I noticed...
compiling the source is usually much faster than downloading the package lately.

Downloadspeeds at bytemark (UK) are at ~50-100kb/s
compiling php takes my system ~2-3min (I compile on tmpfs and pipe with -j9 etc.), downloading rather 5-6min

What I think could increase installation speeds would be a REAL parallel-fetch :idea:

Now we have like 4 jobs in parallel compiling but still only one at a time downloading... this only gives benefit for packages that are already downloaded (which is mostly not the case). So I mostly end up with only 1 running.

Last edited by disi on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Isn't upgrading whole gentoo system a time consuming tas Reply with quote

colag wrote:
Code:

emerge --sync

This would update whole gentoo system. Compiling packages it would install those packages. So upgrading all packages should take much more time than any other linux distrobution.

No, because the whole Gentoo system is not typically out of date and in need of recompiling. Typically, it's just a few. Just as an example, here's my latest update:
Code:
ceres ~ # time emerge -uDnv @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U  ] dev-java/ant-core-1.8.4-r1 [1.8.4] USE="doc -source" 15 kB
[ebuild     U *] sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha114 [2.2.0_alpha113] USE="-build doc -epydoc (ipc) (-pypy1_9) -python2 -python3 (-selinux) -xattr" LINGUAS="-pl" 9 kB
[ebuild     U  ] dev-libs/libatasmart-0.19 [0.18] USE="-static-libs" 246 kB
[ebuild     U  ] app-misc/screen-4.0.3-r5 [4.0.3-r4] USE="-debug -multiuser -nethack pam (-selinux)" 821 kB
[ebuild     U ~] media-libs/raptor-2.0.8 [2.0.7] USE="curl -debug -json -static-libs unicode" 1,697 kB

Total: 5 packages (5 upgrades), Size of downloads: 2,787 kB

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Starting parallel fetch
(many compile messages omitted)
 * Regenerating GNU info directory index...
 * Processed 178 info files.
 * After world updates, it is important to remove obsolete packages with
 * emerge --depclean. Refer to `man emerge` for more information.

real    5m50.518s
user    3m35.529s
sys     0m30.086s
Six minutes? Peh! Now, is it longer sometimes? Sure, but the notion that you're recompiling the whole thing typically is just not true.

- John
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just for the sake of argument, let's take it to the extreme and say you all the sudden have to update something really big like glibc and Xorg that take a very long time to compile and, again for the sake of argument, that the machine rather underpowered, like the netbook sitting right besides me.

Time it takes me, the human being, to perform the update.

Open a terminal window. Type the following. (I cron emerge --sync to happen automatically once a week)
Code:

emerge -uaD world

See if everything looks ok, type yes, go do something else. I come back an hour later and it's all done. That took me all of 30 seconds of actual work. That, unlike most package managers out there I have seen, portage as at least some form of parallel fetch, as in it downloads as the rest compiles, means you're also not wasting time waiting for packages to download on larger updates with a lot of packages.

This applies to real extreme examples. Doing the same thing on my 6 cores 8gig ram server, I would barely have a few minutes looking away before it was done.

Also, realise that in 90% of cases, you can perform the update while all services are running, so even the downtime is minimal. Anything X/GUI related is the only place I've seen problems performing updates while things run. YMMV
WorBlux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Isn't upgrading whole gentoo system a time consuming tas Reply with quote

colag wrote:
Code:

emerge --sync

Not really You can just walk away while it's compiling, or any more with pre-emption on and the nice value set down, you don't hardly notice that your computer is compilng (save the wine of the fans)

Usually you want --deep in there as well and a revdep-rebuild and dispatch-conf afer as well.

The biggest problems I've had is that update sometime introduce weird breakages than need to be manually resolved. Also trying to add a new program and service sometimes requires be to re-compile the kernel to support x feature.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cron eix-sync and emerge -uDavtNf once a day in the early morning to automatically sync and download the source. updates take only minutes every day.

but honestly, the amount of control i gain with gentoo, if this was any other distro updating my desktop system to a new release would be a nightmare
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
ryao
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Isn't upgrading whole gentoo system a time consuming tas Reply with quote

colag wrote:
Code:

emerge --sync

Familiarize yourself with either tmux or screen. Then begin doing updates. Feel free to log out while the updates run.

Also, you might want to install ccache and put ccache into FEATURES in /etc/make.conf. Updating software is faster whenever ccache can use the result of an old compilation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: