evdev or not evdev
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostinspace2011
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: evdev or not evdev Reply with quote

In the modular (Migrating to Modular X HOWTO) http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml is suggests that using INPUT_DEVICE="evdev" is not required.
Quote:
Set INPUT_DEVICES and VIDEO_CARDS to what you need in /etc/make.conf. The minimal setting for the above example would be INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse" VIDEO_CARDS="radeon". If you don't set one or the other variable, xorg-x11 will pull in all possible drivers of that type. For backup drivers, you may also want to add vesa and fbdev to VIDEO_CARDS.

However on a clean installation using ati-config to generate the xorg.conf file and using INPUT_DEVICE="keyboard mouse" neither mouse nor keyboard are working. Initially I suspected that the lack of evdev is the cause so I added evdev to the list and everything started to work as expected. Then I dug a little deeper and found that my xorg.conf (the one generated by ati-config) did not contain a section for keyboard and mouse ?

Is is the case that I can either:

1.) Use INPUT_DEVICE="keyboard mouse" and then add a section both both into xorg.conf
2.) Use INPUT_DEVICE="evdev" and then leave the sections out of xorg.conf

Which one is better ? I guess having a specific section for keyboard and mouse allows me to configure special features (language layout etc).
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still configure special features even with evdev. Search for documentation regarding InputClass.
gorkypl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably a bug in documentation, as evdev is a preferred way to configure external devices AFAIK.
Still it should not be needed to enable evdev in xorg.conf explicitly, because it should be autodetected and loaded. And as Gusar said, evdev can also be configured, for example look below:
Code:

Section "InputClass"
   Identifier   "Keyboard Defaults"
   MatchIsKeyboard   "yes"
   Option      "XkbModel"   "logiik"
   Option      "XkbLayout"   "pl"
   Option      "XkbOptions"   "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,ctrl:nocaps,eurosign:5"
EndSection

lostinspace2011
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying this. Besides adding evdev to INPUT_DEVICES there was nothing needed for me to get it working. I was just wondering if this is the best / preferred option. Seems like it is. Thanks for confirming / clarifying this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: