View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Smooth scrolling with xorg-server-1.12 and synaptics Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've had an Apple Magic Trackpad for quite some time now and it's been working wonderfully with the hid-magicmouse kernel module and xf86-input-synaptics.

However, xorg-server-1.12 was supposed to bring smooth scrolling in conjunction with X Input 2.2. I can't seem to figure out what I really need to change in order to scroll pixel based instead of line based.

Currently, I've set the trackpad to scroll with delta 100 (VertScrollDelta), so that every 100 "pixels" I move my finger on it, it's supposed to scroll. No matter how I set this value, it always scrolls lines (i.e. I can't scroll down a single pixel in, say, firefox or dolphin). The way I read this commit for the synaptics driver, it's supposed not to trigger a button event (which is how it's been before this change), but rather call some other functions to trigger the desired pixel scroll.

mtdev-test from package sys-libs/mtdev works just fine reporting as many as up to 9 fingers, so multitouch by itself isn't the issue here.

Have any of you managed to get pixel based or "smooth" scrolling running with the new xorg-server release? Maybe the applications I tested it with just don't support smooth scrolling?

Some other info in this regard:
Vanilla Linux kernel 3.3
x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.0-r1
sys-libs/mtdev-1.1.2
x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.5.99.902
x11-libs/libX11-1.4.99.901
x11-libs/libXi-1.6.0
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that it's down to the toolkits now. Supposedly only Gtk+3 has support so far.
ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only GTK+3 app I know of is audacious with USE="+gtk3 -gtk". Sadly, it also scrolls based on lines.

/edit: Using the same USEflags, opera also only scrolls whenever I hit the scroll delta.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShinyDoofy wrote:
/edit: Using the same USEflags, opera also only scrolls whenever I hit the scroll delta.
For opera you also need to enable smooth scrolling in the preferences.
ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that. The only difference, it seems, really is that it smoothens the line scrolls, but it still won't scroll single pixels. Maybe my conception of what smooth scrolling is supposed to be (not scrolling by lines, but pixels rather) is off, idk.

Thanks for your hints so far, though! :)
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found the source where I read about it: https://lwn.net/Articles/485484/

It's only in Gtk+ 3.3 (the development version)
ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess all this boils down to having to wait for GTK+ and Qt to implement this. It's a shame, really, as firefox and thunderbird, for example, still use GTK+2, not 3. But oh well, at least know I now it's just not there yet.

Thank you for clearing this up, I thought I was just too dumb to get this working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: