ALSA + SBLive headaches
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: ALSA + SBLive headaches Reply with quote

This is a story of someone not too familiar with Linux and Gentoo and had, at one point, ALSA and SBLive working hand in hand. Currently, there is no SBLive love with ALSA and the only way to get sound is via kernel sound. I would really like to get ALSA back, it sounded much, much better.

In the kernel, I have left sound as Module, vs compiling it. I also have let the kernel compile a module for the emu10k1 even. As per the other posts for ALSA, this is how someone explained I should be doing it.

Now, ALSA wasn't working, so I un-emerged it. Trying to re-emerge it, it constantly fails with:

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line -20 Exitcode 2
!!! Parallel Make Failed
!!! emerge aborting on /usr/portage/media-sound/alsa-driver/alsadriver-0.9.0_rc2.ebuild .

How can I get ALSA working, again, with emege? If I could get that one going, again, maybe I could get the sound back.

Also, how about if I got the creative open source driver vs. alsa? Pros and cons? Anyone?

vash
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had lot's of trouble with the alsa drivers too, so i decided to use the opensource drivers from creative which work perfectly for me and my sblive platinum 5.1 ...

check opensource.creative.com ...
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I've read here on the forums, the kernel emu10k1 code *IS* the Creative Opensource Driver... Sounds like total crap on my system. horrible.

vash... the alsa driver won't work if you have kernel emu10k1 running. if its a module make sure its not loaded.
vash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhedd wrote:
from what I've read here on the forums, the kernel emu10k1 code *IS* the Creative Opensource Driver... Sounds like total crap on my system. horrible.

vash... the alsa driver won't work if you have kernel emu10k1 running. if its a module make sure its not loaded.
Right now, I know for a fact that sound support is a module and definitely not loaded by default.

As far as the kernel sound goes, it works, but the volume is very, very low. How can I increase the volume of the kernel driver? This sound support reall sucks. I would really like to get alsa-driver re-emerge'd, but it simply will not recompile.

vash
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallhead, right, but as far as you can read from the kernel changelogs, only alan's (ac) kerneltree actually features an uptodate version of it. the standard one sucks indeed ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: