Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Alsa Sound install problems, read every post I could find.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrustratedPreviousFreeBSD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:24 am    Post subject: Alsa Sound install problems, read every post I could find. Reply with quote

I'm having trouble getting ALSA to work with my computer.

I have a Sound Blast Live Value card and I'm trying to use the emu10k1 alsa driver.

Here is a short of "cat /proc/pci"

Bus 2, device 12, fuction 0:
Multimedia audio controller: Create Labs SB Live! WMU10k1 (rev8)

so that appears ok.

When I ran first the directions provided in the desktop guide, then after reading 25-50 posts I tried different combinations of what they said to do. My feels is that by this point I have nothing but a big mess, but here is the basics

Since I began whenever I run "amixer" I get the following error:
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

When I try /etc/init.d/alsasound restart I get the following:
Shutting down ALSA modules...
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:963: No soundcards found...
Initialising ALSA
No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card

Currently modules.autoload has the following
snd-emu10k1
snd-pcm-oss
snd-mixer-oss

but I have tried with just the 2 and 3rd line shown. No more luck there.

I have
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1 through alias snd-card-7 snd-emu10k1
in both the /etc/modules.d/aliases file and in the /etc/modules.d/alsa file, the only difference is I saw in one guys post he used

snd-card-1 and-emu10k1-synth
snd-card-2 snd-pcm-oss

So I tried that in the /etc/modules.d/alsa

On boot I get two errors:
Can't locate modules char-major-10-135 (twice)

I've emerged at least 5-6 different alsa packages making sure I had all of them. Tried te-running "depmod -a" and "update-modules" throughout the process and haven't gotten anything to work yet.

On the good side the following devices do exist
/dev/sequencer
/dev/sndstat
/dev/dsp
/dev/dsp1
/dev/mixer
/dev/mixer1
and various midi and mpu401 stuff

I'm been fussing with this for around 4-6 hours and I'm absolutly exhausted. I've tried everything I can think of, and this forum really is my last resort. I appreciate any help you can give.

Sincerely,

Joe
Coogee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Alsa Sound install problems, read every post I could fin Reply with quote

FrustratedPreviousFreeBSD wrote:
On boot I get two errors:
Can't locate modules char-major-10-135 (twice)

This message does not belong to your ALSA problem: char-major-10-135 is the Real Time Clock
(the numbers are explained in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt)
FrustratedPreviousFreeBSD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Additional Information Reply with quote

I think a major part of my problem is that there is no /snd directory that everything wants to look for. Below is the section out of my devfsd.config that I thought was supposed to create those sections for me...

LOOKUP snd MODLOAD ACTION snd
LOOKUP dsp MODLOAD
LOOKUP mixer MODLOAD
LOOKUP midi MODLOAD
REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660
REGISTER snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660

Thanks again,

Joe
FormerFreeBSDUser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Problem might be solved Reply with quote

Today has just proved an important point to me. Most problems have a fresh viewpoint after a nights sleep. After giving more consideration to the /dev/snd problem and the fact that my devfs.conf file was correct I went to make sure I had devfs compiled into the kernel. Sure enough it was there, but my /boot directory was improperly mounted. So when I copied the kernel over I wasn't copying it into my hda1 and therefore was still booting off the previous kernel.

Now I don't get the error message when I run amixer, however I am at work and can't test that sound works for certain.

You learn something everyday, even if it is just the extend of your own incompetence :)

Sincerely,

Joe
Aszurom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY WAIT...

Don't let this thread die just yet. I've got EXACTLY the same issues that are described in post #1... and I *DO* have devfs compiled into the kernel. In fact, if I go to /dev I have /dev/dsp and all that jazz sitting right there.

When I run /etc/init.d/alsasound start, it tells me that it's already running. Great! I did that right. I've followed the desktop config guide to the letter and yet I STILL get a "No such device" when I try to run amixer.

What the hell?

If anyone can enlighten me, please do so. My config has been checked and rechecked so many times I can't stand to look at the screen anymore. Initially I had loaded the emu10k1 support into the kernel, but I've since recompiled it and it's now just loading the soundcore.o. I'm CERTAIN that the proper kernel is booting also, because the prior build did NOT have module support in it... I had to put that in when I decided to fiddle with Alsa.
puddleglum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this will help ... but I also have a Sound Blaster Live Value card
and was unable to get it to work with the emu10k1 alsa driver. I finally
tried using the ensonic 1371 driver and that worked. I figure the emu10k1
driver is only for the Live cards and the Live Value cards must be different
enough that the driver won't work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: