Using liberation fonts breaks Firefox and ghostscript
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Using liberation fonts breaks Firefox and ghostscript Reply with quote

After the last update corefonts (Arial, New Times Roman, etc.) have been replaced by liberation. The file "60-liberation.conf" is sym-linked in "/etc/fonts/conf.d/". Now I see font problems in Firefox and in Ghostscript.

Every time I run ghoscript (or any command that uses gs) I get a lot of "GPL Ghostscript 9.04: Error: Font Renderer Plugin ( FreeType ) return code = -1" errors.

In Firefox the web pages are rendered correctly on the display, but if I export them into a PDF with "File -> Print -> PDF" the PDF uses bitmap fonts.
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Using liberation fonts breaks Firefox and ghostscript Reply with quote

nagmat84 wrote:
After the last update corefonts (Arial, New Times Roman, etc.) have been replaced by liberation. The file "60-liberation.conf" is sym-linked in "/etc/fonts/conf.d/". Now I see font problems in Firefox and in Ghostscript.

Every time I run ghoscript (or any command that uses gs) I get a lot of "GPL Ghostscript 9.04: Error: Font Renderer Plugin ( FreeType ) return code = -1" errors.

In Firefox the web pages are rendered correctly on the display, but if I export them into a PDF with "File -> Print -> PDF" the PDF uses bitmap fonts.

I notice the same, but am not sure the issue is in the corefonts update. I have recently noted a correlation of this with an update to freetype-2.4.9.

After I downgraded one of my systems to 2.4.8, these errors went away. I cannot downgrade the other as 2.4.8 has been removed from the tree. :roll: :cry:

I believe there may be some other packages to recompile to get a consistent system again. I tried a revdep-rebuild, but that did not help.
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to re-emerge ghostscipt, and also to upgrade it to 9.05. This does not solve the problem for me.
nagmat84
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to now I only used ghostscript by the wrapper scripts like "ps2pdf" and similar. Now I tried to use gs directly with the same arguments as the wrapper scripts do but without the "-q" option in order to make gs more verbose. Now I see the following errors:

Code:

Can't find (or can't open) font file /usr/share/ghostscript/9.04/Resource/Font/Arial-BoldMT.
Can't find (or can't open) font file Arial-BoldMT.
Querying operating system for font files...
Didn't find this font on the system!
Substituting font Helvetica-Bold for Arial-BoldMT.
Loading NimbusSanL-Bold font from /usr/share/fonts/urw-fonts/n019004l.pfb... GPL Ghostscript 9.04: Error: Font Renderer Plugin ( FreeType ) return code = -1
Can't render Font NimbusSanL-Bold with FAPI, will do with native GS renderer.
GPL Ghostscript 9.04: Error: Font Renderer Plugin ( FreeType ) return code = -1

These messages are repeated similarly for every page that contains some font that was part of the corefont package.

Obviously there are more than one error involved:

1) GS queries the system for the font Arial-BoldMT and does not find it. Actually I expect the system to return the liberation replacement (1st error)

2) GS substitutes Arial-BoldMT by Helvetica-Bold on its own. Why? Where is this replacment rule defined? Actually GS should use Liberation Sans Serif and not Helvetica, because Helvetica has a different metric than Arial. (2nd error)

3) GS tries to load a Helvetica font from the URW package (n019004l.pfb) and fails to do so. The font renderer plugin returns -1. Why that? (3rd error)
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=408513

Interestingly, it is reported that downgrading to freetype-2.4.8 also solved the problem. I think it would have been smarter to keep that version in the tree. It is a pain in the butt to recover a working version now...
nagmat84
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I executed a
Code:

equery d 'media-libs/freetype:2'

and re-compiled everything that depends on freetype except the KDE stuff (kdelibs, okular), mplayer and libreoffice. It did not change anything.
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

media-libs/freetype-2.4.8 can still be found in the lcd-filtering overlay.
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solution is to use the (currently not in the stable branch) freetype-2.4.9-r1...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: