imagemagick and graphicsmagick on update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gagern
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: imagemagick and graphicsmagick on update Reply with quote

I have media-gfx/imagemagick and media-gfx/graphicsmagick[-imagemagick] installed at the same time, and I'd like to keep it that way. However, whenever there is an update to imagemagick, and I do a world update, then portage tells me that I should add the imagemagick USE flag to graphicsmagick in order to satisfy dependencies of some package or other. Likely because I also have the --autounmask --autounmask-write flags passed to portage by default when doing world updates. The dependency in question in the package reported is usually of the form
Code:
|| ( media-gfx/imagemagick media-gfx/graphicsmagick[imagemagick] )
or the other way round.

When I update imagemagick alone, and then do the world update, the problem is gone. So the claim that I have to have that USE flag is spurious. On the other hand, updating imagemagick usually triggers a number of package rebuilds, involving some pretty large packages, and if those packages need to be re-merged again during the world update, doing this twice is a waste of time. So I'd prefer not to do an imagemagick update before a world update by default just to work around this problem.

I guess that portage decides that the installed version is no longer valid to satisfy dependencies, since it is scheduled to be updated. So when it encounters some || dependency it will treat both the mentioned packages as missing, and schedule the first of them for merging no matter the USE flags. If that happens to be graphicsmagick, then it will consider graphicsmagick with the USE flag scheduled for emerging and will report the missing USE flag for any package which has the || dependency no matter the order. Not sure if this is what's actually happening, though.

Anyway, I really would like to tell portage that I want all these || dependencies to be satisfied by imagemagick, and I don't want to add any USE flags for this. At the same time I don't want to disable the --autounmask --autounmask-write flags since they are very useful for other USE flags. I just want to give preference to not modifying any USE flags. Is there a way to do this, or is this a problem with portage which should be reported as a bug?

I'm on ~amd64, currently using portage 2.3.0, and am encountering this today since I have imagemagick 6.9.4.7 installed but latest is 6.9.5.5. The graphicsmagick is up to date at 1.3.24. Today the package mentioned in the report for the missing USE flag was x11-terms/roxterm-3.1.5 which has imagemagick before graphicsmagick[imagemagick] in its || dependency.
Fred Krogh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no solution here. But I agree it is a real pain. Maybe someone who knows this stuff better can offer a fix.
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the proper way would be to create a virtual/imagemagick which depends on || ( media-gfx/imagemagick media-gfx/graphicsmagick[imagemagick] ) and then have all the packages change their dependency to that. I guess it will never be done.

Maybe you can copy graphicsmagick in a local overlay and edit its ebuild so that the imagemagick USE flag does nothing. Then you can remerge it with the USE flag on and make the other packages happy. Of course you'll need to do it again for every graphicsmagick update…
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When reporting a problem, please provide the original problem report as printed by the program. Paraphrasing it tends to lose important information. In this case, it would be nice to see the full output, including the reported conflict messages, of emerge --pretend --verbose --update --deep --newuse media-gfx/imagemagick media-gfx/graphicsmagick @world.
Featherfoot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to get imagemagick and graphicsmagick to exist on my system and I have no idea how to fix it. Unfortunately there is a significant mix of packages that need either one.

My latest try:
Code:

bopper portage # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge imagemagick graphicsmagick
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] media-gfx/imagemagick-6.9.6.2
[ebuild  N     ] media-gfx/graphicsmagick-1.3.25  USE="X bzip2 cxx imagemagick jbig jpeg jpeg2k lcms lzma modules openmp perl png svg threads tiff truetype wmf zlib -debug -fpx -postscript -q16 -q32 -static-libs {-test} -webp"
[blocks B      ] media-gfx/graphicsmagick[imagemagick] ("media-gfx/graphicsmagick[imagemagick]" is blocking media-gfx/imagemagick-6.9.6.2)
[blocks B      ] media-gfx/imagemagick ("media-gfx/imagemagick" is blocking media-gfx/graphicsmagick-1.3.25)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(media-gfx/graphicsmagick-1.3.25:0/1.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    graphicsmagick

(media-gfx/imagemagick-6.9.6.2:0/6.9.6.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    imagemagick

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages

[Moderator edit: changed [list] tags to [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes. You can't install both media-gfx/graphicsmagick with USE=imagemagick and media-gfx/imagemagick (because the imagemagick USE in graphicsmagick causes the creation of links in the same place of imagemagick's binaries).
You need to edit the graphicsmagick ebuild to disable the link creation and both ebuilds to remove the conflict. Or emerge media-gfx/graphicsmagick with USE=-imagemagick, but then you get back the upgrade issues you described earlier.
skwang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=554070

In the comments it suggests trying
  • emerge -1 imagemagick
  • emerge -DNu world

Performing the two emerge commands separately worked for me. (Specifically, the block is gone. The emerge world is still running on my computer.)
Featherfoot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the USE variable on graphicsmagick that worked was -imagemagick. At this point I just want it to run and I am not worrying about how long it takes.
gagern
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reported portage issue Reply with quote

I've reported a bug with the Portage component about this: bug 601628 (which later got resolved as a duplicate of bug 554070). Let's see what becomes of it. Feel free to vote if you like, or to comment if you have more details to add.

Unfortunately I forgot to capture my portage output when I last encountered this issue, in part because I read this thread here too late. So I'll do that the next time I encounter this. Seems to be quite often of late :( . If anyone else sees this, feel free to provide output here and on the bug report I mentioned.

Oh, and for clarification: this thread here is for situations where both packages are already installed. Situations where only graphicsmagick[imagemagick] is installed, and portage wants to install imagemagick as well for the first time, would be something else, in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: