[SOLVED]can't compile kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan.andersson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]can't compile kernel Reply with quote

I follow the quickinstall and when i come to make of the kernel it gives

CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
CC kernel/bounds.s
kernel/bounds.c:1:0: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
make[1]: *** [kernel/bounds.s] Error 1
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

And i don't have a clue what can be wrong, I followed the installation guide a week ago and don't hade this problem it didn't work but at least it compiled a kernel. Then i get it to boot with genkernel but don't get X to work, And as i found some info on how to get a sabretooth motherboard with nvidia gfx to work i thought i do it from scratch.

So far i have tried the default kernel config without and with some minor changes and the kernel config i found that's supposed to work. none of them compile i also tried with the same stage3 that i used last time when it worked at least i think it's the same i don't have it saved but downloaded the version from 28 feb, but with the same result.

Any ideas?

Last edited by dan.andersson on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the output of emerge --info? You are probably using a 32-bit toolchain on a 64-bit kernel and did not setarch first, so the kernel build tries to create a 64-bit kernel.
dan.andersson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What is the output of emerge --info? You are probably using a 32-bit toolchain on a 64-bit kernel and did not setarch first, so the kernel build tries to create a 64-bit kernel.

I will check when home from work, but can't see where it can have found a 32bit toolchain, And it should create a 64bit kernel. But now when i look at the mirror site i get a suspicion that i have used the wrong stage3.

I think that AMD used to be x86_64 so i used x86 folder and i686, but at least now there is AMD64, and that for sure sounds better. Strange thou that i didn't noticed when i installed it a week ago.
dan.andersson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now lets's just forget this, it's embarassing

but if someone finds it i had a stage3 for wrong architecture, i blame it on linux that doesn't need to be reinstalled so often so it was a few years since last time ;)
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan.andersson,

If I remember right, some year or so ago when I first ventured upon installing Gentoo, I think I got the ia64 stuff first for an 64bit AMD install...
So, I don't think it's something you should be embarrassed about, as I am sure you are not the first, nor the last, to stumble over something like this. ^^

Good to see you figured it out, and also, welcome (back?) to Gentoo!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: