Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
MythTV doesn't display the capture cards.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erangaj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: MythTV doesn't display the capture cards. Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a working IVTV device (Hauppauge PVR 150) and a USB DVB device. Both devices are properly installed.

Code:

htpc ~ # dmesg | grep -i ivtv
ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.1
ivtv0: Initializing card 0
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23416 based)
ivtv 0000:05:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
ivtv0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
cx25840 2-0044: cx25843-23 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
tuner 2-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
wm8775 2-001b: chip found @ 0x36 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
IRQ 20/ivtv0: IRQF_DISABLED is not guaranteed on shared IRQs
ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi0 for encoder VBI (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device radio0 for encoder radio
ivtv0: Initialized card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
ivtv: End initialization
ivtv 0000:05:00.0: firmware: requesting v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039

Code:

htpc ~ # dmesg | grep -i dvb   
dvb-usb: found a 'ITEtech USB2.0 DVB-T Recevier' in warm state.
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
DVB: registering new adapter (ITEtech USB2.0 DVB-T Recevier)
DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (AF903X USB DVB-T)...
dvb-usb: ITEtech USB2.0 DVB-T Recevier successfully initialized and connected.
usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_af903x

But I can't find any of those cards in mythtv-setup -> Capture card setup -> Card type.
(I have a Mythbuntu installation on the same machine and it works without any issues.)

Please help me to fix this issue.

Also,

I reseved the below error message while starting mythbackend service.

Code:

htpc ~ # /etc/init.d/mythbackend start
 * Starting MythTV Backend ...
 * WARNING: -c/--chuid is deprecated and will be removed in the future, please use -u/--user instead                                                 [ ok ]
htpc ~ # /etc/init.d/mythbackend status

Thanks in advance.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you run through mythtv-setup yet? It sounds almost as if Mythbuntu does this for you. Gentoo doesn't, you have to do initial setup and configuration yourself. There's a pretty decent wiki for it at the MythTV site.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show us emerge -pv mythtv output please.
erangaj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Have you run through mythtv-setup yet? It sounds almost as if Mythbuntu does this for you. Gentoo doesn't, you have to do initial setup and configuration yourself. There's a pretty decent wiki for it at the MythTV site.

Yes, but those device types are not listed under Capture card setup -> Card type in mythtv-setup.
erangaj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Can you show us emerge -pv mythtv output please.

Here is the output.

Code:

htpc@htpc ~ $ emerge -pv mythtv

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ~] media-tv/mythtv-0.24.1_p20110524  USE="alsa dvd python (-altivec) -autostart -bluray -debug -dvb -ieee1394 -jack -lcd -lirc -perl -profile -vdpau -xvmc" INPUT_DEVICES="-joystick" VIDEO_CARDS="-nvidia" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Cheers.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE="-dvb", this probably explains why your DVB is not working. Do you have v4l enabled in your system?
erangaj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
USE="-dvb", this probably explains why your DVB is not working. Do you have v4l enabled in your system?

Thank you Jaglover,

I added dvb, v4l, ivtv and all the use flags listed in http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/MythTV and updated the system (emerge --update --deep --newuse world).

Now the DVB card is working :). But the IVTV card still is not available in the list (mythtv-setup -> Capture card setup -> Card type).

I have noticed the below output while emerging mythtv package.

Code:
Video4Linux no
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is relevant, but there has been some stuff going on, with deprecating v4l in favor of v4l2. For a long time the 2 versions coexisted, then I believe v4l became a backwards-compatible shim on top of v4l2. I believe some time back they decided the original v4l needed to die, but have no idea of the timeline.

As for your IVTV card, it's possible that you're seeing what I see. I have the hvr-1600, which is has hardware mpeg like the pvr-x50 cards. When I run mythtv-setup it isn't autodetected - instead it autodetects a regular analog card, which is incorrect. I have to manually select the card type, and at this point I don't remember if that's IVTV or if there's something more specific to my card. Once I select an appropriate card type, it autodetects my hvr-1600 and properly identifies it.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is I haven't had much luck with older IVTV cards myself, in fact I tossed my PVR-250 because I was unable to get it working in MythTV, I obtained a 2250 only to learn it does not work in 0.25. Luckily enough it works fine in 0.24.2. :roll:
The only advice I can give at this time is try 0.24.2, there are several bugs filed and some of them are addressed and fixed.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
I obtained a 2250 only to learn it does not work in 0.25. Luckily enough it works fine in 0.24.2. :roll:
The only advice I can give at this time is try 0.24.2, there are several bugs filed and some of them are addressed and fixed.

What???? Dang, I was going to update everything today. I'm still on .23.

I had to reformat the server, and I forgot to backup the mythtv database. Sigh...

Did you figure out why the 2250 doesn't work?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in digital reception then you are OK, I still have my analog cable and analog + 2250 + mythtv-0.25 = failure. Although I haven't tried lately. Maybe latest 0.25-beta works.

Here's my history with analog and MythTV:

0.22 - everything analog works
0.23 - framegrabber V4L card stopped working, replaced it with PVR-250
0.24 - PVR-250 stopped working, replaced it with 2250
0.25 - last time I tried it nothing analog worked

... go figure ...
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, we have no analog channels here any more. They stopped broadcasting analog last August.

I don't think I'm going to be able to update, the ew-mythtv overlay just hangs emerge. Don't know what's going on there. It also complains about sets not existing.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need portage-2.2 for sets.

https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tree/master/Gentoo
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:

I suspect I may be having this issue as well. I have a USB tuner card (KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick UB435-Q V3) that I know is operational under Gentoo, since I've been able to tune some stations through it under VLC. But the tuner is not selectable under mythtv-setup. Further, I have a problem recompiling MythTV: I switched my profile to no-multilib, and after having done so MythTV compiling fails (I think there is some bug in the no-multilib set-up). In order to find out whether it is the USE="-dvb" that is causing me to be unable to add my tuner, is there a way I can check what are the USE= flags for the currently-installed version of MythTV on this system? Just to clarify further, the version Of MythTV on this system was compiled and installed before I changed my profile to no-multilib. Thanks
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamtat wrote:

I suspect I may be having this issue as well. I have a USB tuner card (KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick UB435-Q V3) that I know is operational under Gentoo, since I've been able to tune some stations through it under VLC. But the tuner is not selectable under mythtv-setup. Further, I have a problem recompiling MythTV: I switched my profile to no-multilib, and after having done so MythTV compiling fails (I think there is some bug in the no-multilib set-up). In order to find out whether it is the USE="-dvb" that is causing me to be unable to add my tuner, is there a way I can check what are the USE= flags for the currently-installed version of MythTV on this system? Just to clarify further, the version Of MythTV on this system was compiled and installed before I changed my profile to no-multilib. Thanks

To see the USE flags for the currently compiled version use:

Code:

$ equery uses mythtv

That's part of the gentoolkit package.

Also, you need the dvb USE flag if you want to use any sort of digital tuner:

Code:

$ equery uses mythtv
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for media-tv/mythtv-0.27.4_p20150124:
 U I
 - - dvb                    : Enables support for Linux DVB cards. These include all cards that work with digital signals such as ATSC, DVB-T, DVB-C, and DVB-S, QAM-64, and QAM-256.

I don't have it set here as this is my frontend, however, my backend needs this flag set.
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
Code:

$ equery uses mythtv
Thanks for your input, danomac. I get
Code:
U I
+ - dvb
when I run that.

To my untrained eye, that looks to be indicating that dvb is called for in my make.conf, but that the package hasn't been compiled with this flag set. Sound right? And, in any case, doesn't this look to be the nature of my problem with the KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick being unavailable for selection in mythtv-setup? If so, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. In theory I'd have to submit a bug report--which is something I have only a very vague idea about how to do--then wait until some fix is applied. Or else ask someone more knowledgeable whether they can think of a workaround. Ugh.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamtat wrote:
danomac wrote:
Code:

$ equery uses mythtv
Thanks for your input, danomac. I get
Code:
U I
+ - dvb
when I run that.

To my untrained eye, that looks to be indicating that dvb is called for in my make.conf, but that the package hasn't been compiled with this flag set. Sound right? And, in any case, doesn't this look to be the nature of my problem with the KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick being unavailable for selection in mythtv-setup? If so, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. In theory I'd have to submit a bug report--which is something I have only a very vague idea about how to do--then wait until some fix is applied. Or else ask someone more knowledgeable whether they can think of a workaround. Ugh.

According to that your configuration wants to build dvb support, but your currently installed mythtv doesn't have that support. This is the cause of your problems as it's a digital ATSC tuner. You need that support for both pci[-e]/usb tuners.

What's the last bit of output of the mythtv emerge? Maybe we can track down why the build is failing. We'd need the last bit of the build log as well, not just the output of emerge. There'll be an error in there somewhere that should be visible.
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted about the build failure in another thread a few days ago (see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1013668.html ). Here's some relevant failure output I posted there:
Code:
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -c -pipe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -DPIC -march=native -O2 -march=corei7 -DNDEBUG -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -pthread -g -Wall -Wpointer-arith -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wmissing-declarations -Wno-switch -Woverloaded-virtual -funit-at-a-time -I/usr/include/freetype2 -fvisibility=hidden -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DMMX -D_GNU_SOURCE -DUSING_LIBCRYPTO -DUSING_X11 -DUSING_XV -DUSING_OPENGL -DUSING_OPENGL_VIDEO -DUSING_VAAPI -DUSING_GLVAAPI -DUSING_MHEG -DUSING_FRONTEND -DUSING_FFMPEG_THREADS -DUSING_OSS -DUSING_V4L2 -DUSING_IPTV -DUSING_HDHOMERUN -DUSING_CETON -DUSING_IVTV -DUSING_HDPVR -DUSING_DVB -DUSING_BACKEND -DMTV_API -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtOpenGL -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/qt4/QtSql -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I../../external/qjson/include -I../../external/zeromq/include -I../../external/nzmqt/include/nzmqt -I.. -I../.. -I../../external/FFmpeg -I. -I../libmyth -I../libmyth/audio -I../libmythbase -I../libmythdvdnav -Impeg -Ichannelscan -Ivisualisations -Irecorders -Irecorders/dvbdev -Irecorders/rtp -Irecorders/vbitext -Irecorders/HLS -I../libmythlivemedia/BasicUsageEnvironment/include -I../libmythlivemedia/BasicUsageEnvironment -I../libmythlivemedia/groupsock/include -I../libmythlivemedia/groupsock -I../libmythlivemedia/liveMedia/include -I../libmythlivemedia/liveMedia -I../libmythlivemedia/UsageEnvironment/include -I../libmythlivemedia/UsageEnvironment -I../libmythbase -I../libmythui -I../libmythupnp -I../libmythservicecontracts -I/usr/include -I../libmythdvdnav -I../../external/libmythbluray -I../../external/libhdhomerun -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -o privatedecoder.o privatedecoder.cpp
In file included from avformatdecoder.cpp:60:0:
vaapicontext.h:11:23: fatal error: va/va_x11.h: No such file or directory
 #include "va/va_x11.h"
                       ^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:6711: recipe for target 'avformatdecoder.o' failed
make[2]: *** [avformatdecoder.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321/work/mythtv-0.27/mythtv/libs/libmythtv'
Makefile:309: recipe for target 'sub-libmythtv-make_default' failed
make[1]: *** [sub-libmythtv-make_default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321/work/mythtv-0.27/mythtv/libs'
Makefile:67: recipe for target 'libs' failed
make: *** [libs] Error 2
 * ERROR: media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321/work/mythtv-0.27/mythtv'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321/work/mythtv-0.27/mythtv'

* Messages for package media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321:
I've tried compiling MythTV at least twice more since then but continue getting failures. The only interesting thing is that it seems it's not always failing at not finding the same file/directory: in this case it is va_x11.h but I've seen another, similar file name that, I think, had glx in the name. If you could provide any advice on how to resolve this and get MythTv to recompile, I'd be most grateful.

LATER EDIT: found the build log. Here are the final 50 lines or so from the last compilation attempt:
Code:
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -c -pipe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -DPIC -march=native -O2 -march=corei7 -DNDEBUG -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -pthread -g -Wall -Wpointer-arith -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wmissing-declarations -Wno-switch -Woverloaded-virtual -funit-at-a-time -I/usr/include/freetype2 -fvisibility=hidden -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DMMX -D_GNU_SOURCE -DUSING_LIBCRYPTO -DUSING_X11 -DUSING_XV -DUSING_OPENGL -DUSING_OPENGL_VIDEO -DUSING_VAAPI -DUSING_GLVAAPI -DUSING_MHEG -DUSING_FRONTEND -DUSING_FFMPEG_THREADS -DUSING_OSS -DUSING_V4L2 -DUSING_IPTV -DUSING_HDHOMERUN -DUSING_CETON -DUSING_IVTV -DUSING_HDPVR -DUSING_DVB -DUSING_BACKEND -DMTV_API -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtOpenGL -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/qt4/QtSql -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I../../external/qjson/include -I../../external/zeromq/include -I../../external/nzmqt/include/nzmqt -I.. -I../.. -I../../external/FFmpeg -I. -I../libmyth -I../libmyth/audio -I../libmythbase -I../libmythdvdnav -Impeg -Ichannelscan -Ivisualisations -Irecorders -Irecorders/dvbdev -Irecorders/rtp -Irecorders/vbitext -Irecorders/HLS -I../libmythlivemedia/BasicUsageEnvironment/include -I../libmythlivemedia/BasicUsageEnvironment -I../libmythlivemedia/groupsock/include -I../libmythlivemedia/groupsock -I../libmythlivemedia/liveMedia/include -I../libmythlivemedia/liveMedia -I../libmythlivemedia/UsageEnvironment/include -I../libmythlivemedia/UsageEnvironment -I../libmythbase -I../libmythui -I../libmythupnp -I../libmythservicecontracts -I/usr/include -I../libmythdvdnav -I../../external/libmythbluray -I../../external/libhdhomerun -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -o nuppeldecoder.o nuppeldecoder.cpp
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -c -pipe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -DPIC -march=native -O2 -march=corei7 -DNDEBUG -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -pthread -g -Wall -Wpointer-arith -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wmissing-declarations -Wno-switch -Woverloaded-virtual -funit-at-a-time -I/usr/include/freetype2 -fvisibility=hidden -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DMMX -D_GNU_SOURCE -DUSING_LIBCRYPTO -DUSING_X11 -DUSING_XV -DUSING_OPENGL -DUSING_OPENGL_VIDEO -DUSING_VAAPI -DUSING_GLVAAPI -DUSING_MHEG -DUSING_FRONTEND -DUSING_FFMPEG_THREADS -DUSING_OSS -DUSING_V4L2 -DUSING_IPTV -DUSING_HDHOMERUN -DUSING_CETON -DUSING_IVTV -DUSING_HDPVR -DUSING_DVB -DUSING_BACKEND -DMTV_API -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtOpenGL -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/qt4/QtSql -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I../../external/qjson/include -I../../external/zeromq/include -I../../external/nzmqt/include/nzmqt -I.. -I../.. -I../../external/FFmpeg -I. -I../libmyth -I../libmyth/audio -I../libmythbase -I../libmythdvdnav -Impeg -Ichannelscan -Ivisualisations -Irecorders -Irecorders/dvbdev -Irecorders/rtp -Irecorders/vbitext -Irecorders/HLS -I../libmythlivemedia/BasicUsageEnvironment/include -I../libmythlivemedia/BasicUsageEnvironment -I../libmythlivemedia/groupsock/include -I../libmythlivemedia/groupsock -I../libmythlivemedia/liveMedia/include -I../libmythlivemedia/liveMedia -I../libmythlivemedia/UsageEnvironment/include -I../libmythlivemedia/UsageEnvironment -I../libmythbase -I../libmythui -I../libmythupnp -I../libmythservicecontracts -I/usr/include -I../libmythdvdnav -I../../external/libmythbluray -I../../external/libhdhomerun -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -o avformatdecoder.o avformatdecoder.cpp
vaapicontext.h:12:23: fatal error: va/va_glx.h: No such file or directory
 #include "va/va_glx.h"
                       ^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:6711: recipe for target 'avformatdecoder.o' failed
make[2]: *** [avformatdecoder.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321/work/mythtv-0.27/mythtv/libs/libmythtv'
Makefile:309: recipe for target 'sub-libmythtv-make_default' failed
make[1]: *** [sub-libmythtv-make_default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321/work/mythtv-0.27/mythtv/libs'
Makefile:67: recipe for target 'libs' failed
make: *** [libs] Error 2
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamtat wrote:

vaapicontext.h:12:23: fatal error: va/va_glx.h: No such file or directory

OK, I have two instances of these files, and both belong to x11-libs/libva:

Code:

$ find /usr -iname va_x11.h
/usr/include/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/va/va_x11.h
/usr/include/va/va_x11.h

$ equery belongs /usr/include/va/va_x11.h
 * Searching for /usr/include/va/va_x11.h ...
x11-libs/libva-1.3.1 (/usr/include/va/va_x11.h)
$ equery belongs /usr/include/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/va/va_x11.h
 * Searching for /usr/include/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/va/va_x11.h ...
x11-libs/libva-1.3.1 (/usr/include/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/va/va_x11.h)

$ equery belongs /usr/include/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/va/va_glx.h
 * Searching for /usr/include/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/va/va_glx.h ...
x11-libs/libva-1.3.1 (/usr/include/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/va/va_glx.h)

Have you tried rebuilding that specific package?

Code:

$ emerge -a1 x11-libs/libva

Also, are you using ffmpeg or libav? To search use `equery list ffmpeg` and `equery list libav`. You should get output for one of them. It's possible there's a conflict there too.
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:

Code:

Yes. At least twice.
Quote:
Also, are you using ffmpeg or libav? To search use `equery list ffmpeg` and `equery list libav`. You should get output for one of them. It's possible there's a conflict there too.

I get
Code:
mymachine ~ # equery list ffmpeg
 * Searching for ffmpeg ...
!!! No installed packages matching 'ffmpeg'
and
Code:
mymachine ~ # equery list libav
 * Searching for libav ...
[IP-] [  ] media-video/libav-9.17:0/9
Anything revealing so far? Thanks for your continued input.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamtat wrote:
danomac wrote:

Code:

Yes. At least twice.
Quote:

I get
Code:
mymachine ~ # equery list ffmpeg
 * Searching for ffmpeg ...
!!! No installed packages matching 'ffmpeg'
and
Code:
mymachine ~ # equery list libav
 * Searching for libav ...
[IP-] [  ] media-video/libav-9.17:0/9
Anything revealing so far? Thanks for your continued input.

Well, mythtv uses its own internal copy of ffmpeg before the ffmpeg/libav split happened. However, sometimes gentoo changes packages to use shared libraries, and I don't know if mythtv is one of them. libav is not exactly compatible with ffmpeg, and it can cause problems. I doubt that this problem you're having is related.

I've had pretty much no luck with libav and so I've binned it (as have many others). If you want to disable it, set your USE flags to include "ffmpeg -libav" and hopefully portage will sort out the ensuing mess. I just read that ffmpeg is going back to being the default in gentoo anyway.

I see in your other thread that you've switched profiles, have you done a:

Code:

$ emerge -pvuDN world

To see what the changes are? I don't know that `emerge -e world` will build in support for new USE flags (as evidenced by the output you've shown me.)

When you get the results you can post them here.

After that, they can be emerged:

Code:

$ emerge -uDN --keep-going world

The "--keep-going" flag will remove a failed package from the build list and continue on if there's problems.
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
Well, mythtv uses its own internal copy of ffmpeg before the ffmpeg/libav split happened. However, sometimes gentoo changes packages to use shared libraries, and I don't know if mythtv is one of them. libav is not exactly compatible with ffmpeg, and it can cause problems. I doubt that this problem you're having is related.

I've had pretty much no luck with libav and so I've binned it (as have many others). If you want to disable it, set your USE flags to include "ffmpeg -libav" and hopefully portage will sort out the ensuing mess. I just read that ffmpeg is going back to being the default in gentoo anyway.

Thanks for the explanation. It's been noted.
Quote:
I see in your other thread that you've switched profiles, have you done a:

Code:

$ emerge -pvuDN world

To see what the changes are?
No, I did not.
Quote:
When you get the results you can post them here.

Here they are:
Code:
mymachine ~ # emerge -pvuDN world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U  ] sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20150206 [20140902] USE="-savedconfig" 25,227 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] dev-libs/libltdl-2.4.6 [2.4.4] USE="-static-libs" 951 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-devel/libtool-2.4.6:2 [2.4.4:2] USE="-vanilla" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321  USE="dvb* hls python theora vaapi vorbis xml xvid -alsa* (-altivec) -autostart -bluray -cec -crystalhd -debug -dvd* -egl -fftw -ieee1394 -jack -lcd -libass -lirc -perl -pulseaudio -raop -vdpau -xmltv" INPUT_DEVICES="-joystick" 0 KiB

Total: 4 packages (3 upgrades, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 26,177 KiB

Quote:
After that, they can be emerged:

Code:

$ emerge -uDN --keep-going world

The "--keep-going" flag will remove a failed package from the build list and continue on if there's problems.

Ok. I'll hold off on doing that for a moment--gotta step away for a few hrs. Maybe I'll go ahead and start the process before I leave, though.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamtat wrote:
Build Log wrote:
/libxml2 -I../../external/qjson/include -I../../external/zeromq/include -I../../external/nzmqt/include/nzmqt -I.. -I../.. -I../../external/FFmpeg -I. -I../libmyth -I../libmyth/audio -I../libmythbase -I../libmythdvdnav -Impeg -Ichannelscan -Ivisualisations -Irecorders -Irecorders/dvbdev -Irecorders/rtp -Irecorders/vbitext -Irecorders/HLS -I../libmythlivemedia/BasicUsageEnvironment/include -I../libmythlivemedia/BasicUsageEnvironment -I../libmythlivemedia/groupsock/include -I../libmythlivemedia/groupsock -I../libmythlivemedia/liveMedia/include -I../libmythlivemedia/liveMedia -I../libmythlivemedia/UsageEnvironment/include -I../libmythlivemedia/UsageEnvironment -I../libmythbase -I../libmythui -I../libmythupnp -I../libmythservicecontracts -I/usr/include -I../libmythdvdnav -I../../external/libmythbluray -I../../external/libhdhomerun -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -o privatedecoder.o privatedecoder.cpp

(emphasis in the build log is mine)

Ahem, I stand corrected. Apparently it is using the shared libraries, and at this point I'm willing to bet libav is the problem. Remember the incompatibility of libav I mentioned in one of my earlier posts? I myself have had issues of some packages not building against libav, which is why I binned it a long time ago. One of the things libav doesn't do is stay ABI/API compatible with ffmpeg and that can cause issues like these.

In your /etc/portage/make.conf and these two USE flags to the existing ones: "-libav ffmpeg" (or change them if they are there already.)

Then try a:
Code:

$ emerge -pvuDN world

It's possible that portage is going to have some blockers, libav can cause a big mess. If you get no errors you can build the updates, if you do, post them here and we'll try to resolve them.

I'll bet when you changed profiles it forced a switch from ffmpeg to libav, and this change caused mythtv to stop building. Just speculating here.

Edit: What profile did you switch to? MythTV is being built without ALSA support, i.e. you won't have any sound...
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional input, danomac. I feel like I'm learning some things. Had to take a day off from this to attend a funeral, but I'm having another go at it now that I'm back.

I did end up running emerge -uDN --keep-going world as you had suggested, letting it run in a terminal til I returned. But, as expected, MythTV failed to compile again. Here's a bit of output I keep seeing that may (or may not) shed further light on what's at issue here:
Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: x11-libs/libva-1.3.1
 *  - /usr/lib64/libva-glx.so.1
 *  - /usr/lib64/libva-glx.so.1.3501.0
 *      used by /usr/lib64/libmythtv-0.27.so.0.27.0 (media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321)
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries

No errors appear when, after I've put in the ffmpeg and -libav flags, I run emerge -pvuDN world and look at terminal output. By that I mean that I am just told what is going to be built and am shown a list of use flags for each, in varying colors. All looks to be in order in my rather inexpert opinion. So I think I'll give the real thing another go.

As mentioned, I switched to no-miltilib (from Desktop). On reflection, that was probably a mistake. I was initially confused by the options and chose desktop, then decided that was probably a mistake and switched to no-multilib. Having subsequently done more administration and read a bit more about Gentoo, I realize I probably should not have switched to no-mulitlib. But this is a dedicated machine--its only function being to run MythTV--so I'm hoping I'll be able to make things work as the process for switching back to Desktop is unsupported and rather convoluted.

Yes, I too noted the issue with ALSA and realized it could cause me problems. I therefore set ALSA in my USE flags prior to my last emerge -uDN --keep-going world (completed one day ago).

Fingers crossed . . .
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamtat wrote:
Here's a bit of output I keep seeing that may (or may not) shed further light on what's at issue here:
Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: x11-libs/libva-1.3.1
 *  - /usr/lib64/libva-glx.so.1
 *  - /usr/lib64/libva-glx.so.1.3501.0
 *      used by /usr/lib64/libmythtv-0.27.so.0.27.0 (media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321)
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries

What that is telling you is package x11-libs/libva has been upgraded, and the version of mythtv that is installed is still using the old version that's no longer available. So it wants you to install mythtv again to compile again to the new libraries.

jamtat wrote:

No errors appear when, after I've put in the ffmpeg and -libav flags, I run emerge -pvuDN world and look at terminal output. By that I mean that I am just told what is going to be built and am shown a list of use flags for each, in varying colors. All looks to be in order in my rather inexpert opinion. So I think I'll give the real thing another go.

It's very possible that ffmpeg was on your machine originally when you compiled mythtv. Let's hope that's all it is.

jamtat wrote:

As mentioned, I switched to no-miltilib (from Desktop). On reflection, that was probably a mistake. I was initially confused by the options and chose desktop, then decided that was probably a mistake and switched to no-multilib. Having subsequently done more administration and read a bit more about Gentoo, I realize I probably should not have switched to no-mulitlib. But this is a dedicated machine--its only function being to run MythTV--so I'm hoping I'll be able to make things work as the process for switching back to Desktop is unsupported and rather convoluted.

Yes, I too noted the issue with ALSA and realized it could cause me problems. I therefore set ALSA in my USE flags prior to my last emerge -uDN --keep-going world (completed one day ago).

Fingers crossed . . .

Hmm, I've never used the no multilib profiles. While there could be some issues because of that, it looked more to me like libav had something to do with it.

By the way, use:

Code:

$ equery uses mythtv

to describe the USE flags. I do believe mythtv uses both perl and python bindings, and perl support is not being compiled in. If you want DVD playback, you'll need to set the DVD flag, and if you want to use a remote eventually the lirc flag is kind of important. :wink:

What exact profile are you using? i.e. the output of `eselect profile list` ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: