Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
MythTV doesn't display the capture cards.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional pointers. I'm beginning to think that, for a MythTV installation under Gentoo--unless one knows one's way around this distro really well--the Desktop profile should be used (I suppose [3] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop, which is what I'd originally selected, would be preferable in my scenario). I probably would not be seeing these sorts of issues had I not switched to no-multilib, correct?

The `emerge -uDN --keep-going world` continues to fail, even after I've set the suggested USE flags (ffmpeg -libav). Same error message:
Code:
  #include "va/va_glx.h"
                       ^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:6713: recipe for target 'avformatdecoder.o' failed
make[2]: *** [avformatdecoder.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321/work/mythtv-0.27/mythtv/libs/libmythtv'
Makefile:309: recipe for target 'sub-libmythtv-make_default' failed
make[1]: *** [sub-libmythtv-make_default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.27_p20140321/work/mythtv-0.27/mythtv/libs'
Makefile:67: recipe for target 'libs' failed
make: *** [libs] Error 2
The only possible additional clue might be the fact that sometimes it is va/va_glx.h that is missing, and at other times va/va_x11.h. Not sure whether that's relevant or important.

When I run `equery uses mythtv` it does show both perl and python in the list, the latter of which does seem to be compiled in. As for perl, the explanation next to it says "Builds the perl bindings for MythTV. Allows you to write scripts in Perl to control your MythTV setup or communicate with it." I do not expect to be writing any perl scripts since I know virtually nothing about it (or about any other language, for that matter): given that, do you think not having it could present some problem? And I do not expect to be watching any DVD's on this machine: I had DVD support under previous MythTV installs and virtually never watched any DVD's. So I decided to do without this time. My "remote" is actually a keyboard-like thing. It looks like a remote, but functions like a keyboard--cost me something like $8 on amazon. It has served my purposes quite adequately and should continue to do so, so no lirc should be needed.

As to the output for `eselect profile list,` I get a list, among which is [17] default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib *
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the last post in this thread. The original topic has gotten sort of hijacked with the issue of MythTV failing to compile under no-multilib. To clarify, I did seem to be having the same issue as the original poster of not having dvb enabled when compiling MythTV. The thread got sidetracked when I interjected that, though I seem to have this same issue, I am unable to fix it due to the fact that, having switched profiles (to no-multilib), I can no longer compile mythtv.

The reason I am unable to compile it is, I believe, owing to a bug--a bug that apparently got fixed under other Gentoo profiles, but which remains in effect for the no-multilib profile. That bug can be read about in this forum thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7496782.html and at this bug report https://bugs.gentoo.org/500446 . The only further thing I'd like to ask about here is whether anyone might confirm for me whether I, in fact, am being affected by that same bug.

It's probably hoping for too much to find a solution or workaround for my particular situation. So my prospects seem to be to risk switching profiles back to desktop--which apparently can be done but is unsupported--or simply reinstalling Gentoo and selecting the desktop profile. There appears to me no other way that I'll be able to recompile MythTV with dvb support. And leaving things as-is means living with an only partially-functional MythTV, which is not really an option since the whole purpose of installing Gentoo was to have a base on which to run MythTV.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another datapoint on this, I'm running MythTV on a system, that as of today, has no emul-libs installed - but it's not on the no-multilib profile. The no-emul thing was promoted last week, and this was my first update since. Upon query, I found that I had emul-linux-x86-baselibs installed in support of grub-0.97, but looking into that I found that by using ncurses with abi_x86_32 I could get rid of all emul-libs entirely.

This particular system is also running hardened amd64, by the way, and as of today has the one 32-bit lib installed. Of course I have not rebuit MythTV since getting here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: