Static mounts for other hard drives
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnackMasterX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Static mounts for other hard drives Reply with quote

Hello,

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this but what I am trying to do is create static mounts for the extra hard drives in my computer and give users full access to the drive and files on the drive either by means of:

1. creating groups with different levels of access and adding a user to the necessary groups
2. just giving the user direct access to the drive and all files within

I prefer option 1 for the fact that I can easily control level of access to the drive, but along with this I would like the drive to automatically show up on computer in the same category as the root file system. So far what I have done is given it a mount point of '/mnt/750' using fstab. I chose '750' because that is the size of the hard drive, for any curious minds out there. I am unsure if there might be a more effective manor of accomplishing this but the end goal is to allow certain users access to the drive without the need to provide any extra passwords aside from the one they provide at login. At the current moment all extra drives are showing up in the way I would like however they require the root password to mount and I then have read only access to the drive.

Thanks in Advance!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnackMasterX,

Maybe its a terminology thing but you don't mount drives, you mount filesystems.
Filesystems can be on whole block devices (like a drive) or a partition (a piece of a drive) or even in a file.
Exactly what happens to permissions when you mount a filesystem depends on the the filesystem type.

If its a *NIX filesystem, it supports the permissions you expect. If its vfat or NTFS, its not so simple.
vfat has no concept of permissions and NTFS permissions don't map to *NIX permissions.
Other filesystems have their oddities too.

A little more info on the filesystem type would be useful.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
SnackMasterX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are correct I am mounting a partition, that was definitely incorrect terminology used on my part and I apologize for the miscommunication. I am using ext4 on the partitions. I have never done this specific task before (as implied by the post) so I am looking for the most efficient method of accomplishing my goal even if it requires changing something up that I didn't think of as a possibility.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnackMasterX,

Make directories inside your /mnt/750, like /mnt/750/group1.
Make the group group1
Code:
groupadd

Set the owner and group of that directory to roor:group1 and the permissions to 770 so that group1 has full access and everyone else no access. 770 is rwxrwx---
Make users who need access members of group1.

For more fine grained control, you will need Access Control Lists, which ext4 supports.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
SnackMasterX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, would there be a way to get the folder to show up under devices instead of just placing a shortcut?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: