KDE 4.8.0 panel transparency setting: Is there one? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: KDE 4.8.0 panel transparency setting: Is there one? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

In all desktops, I always set my panels to 'Auto-hide'. With the latest version of kde-4.8.0 the panels are almost completely transparent.

Under System Settings ==> Desktop Effects ==> All Effects, I have access to "Translucency" which allows me to control the degree of transparency of different windows in different circumstances.

However, Panels are not in this list. This isn't really a surprise since panels belong (if I've understood what I've read correctly) in the Plasma area.

Unfortunately, Workspace Behavior makes no mention of this like 'translucency' or 'transparency'.

I would very much like my panels to my much less transparent than they are. The problem is that I sometimes have very 'busy' windows under where the panels pop open and this makes whatever appears on the panels and associated daughter panel popup messages difficult and sometimes impossible to read.

Is there any switch, knob, slider or other control I've missed where I can control panel translucency?

Last edited by dufeu on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are looking for

System Settings ==> Workspace Appearance ==> Desktop Theme ==> Details
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baaann wrote:
I think you are looking for

System Settings ==> Workspace Appearance ==> Desktop Theme ==> Details

You are correct though I'd never have found it there on my own.

Thank you very much!

Note to anyone else who also might not 'get it' at a first look:

This isn't a dialog for setting the degree of 'translucency' with a slider like the normal application windows and dialogs boxes have. Rather, a plasma workspace object {like a 'panel background'} apparently gets it's degree of transparency from the background image file applied to it. The background image used comes from the desktop workspace 'theme' pack.

The dialog window consists of three parts. The top part is a horizontal band displaying representative samples of all the desktop workspace themes you have installed.

Below that are two columns. The left column is a list of all the workspace parts you can independently apply a theme to. The right hand column is a list of matched drop down boxes subordinated to the left hand column. For each item in the left hand column, you can select and apply whichever available theme you want.

In my case, the desktop workspace object I wanted to change the 'translucency' of was: Panel Background. Since I was using the 'Air' theme, this was set to 'Air'. After selecting the 'Panel Background' object, I used it's associated drop down selector to choose the 'Tibanna' themed version instead.

'Tibanna' is only slightly translucent and works much better in terms of usability for this purpose. Of course, YMMV and all that.

If anyone with first hand input to someone who knows how to contact the relevant people on the KDE Plasma team, I do have a small suggestion:

The theme 'samples' across the top of the Details dialog window would be more useful if the lower half of each sample had some greeked text and such beneath them. This way, degree of translucency could be at least roughly estimated at first look.

Basically, I had to {for the desktop workspace object in question}: pick a theme - apply said theme - go to a desktop with representative windows - pop a panel over said representative windows - then go back to 'Desktop Theme' ==> 'Details'. Rinse, lather, repeat for each theme with no side by side direct comparison possible. Meh.

But in the end, I did fix my issue. All without installing any additional software ..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: