Strange error messages at boot time
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Walrus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Strange error messages at boot time Reply with quote

I'm using Gentoo for some month now, and everything runs real fine. I always had some strange error messages at boot time, but I ignored them.

Yesterday I showed Gentoo to couple of friends of mine (they are all Windows-users) and the first thing they said was: "Oh wow, nice...boots really quickly...but what are those error messages?".

I need to get rid of them. Now. But I haven't got a clue how.

These error messages appear immediatly after the bootscript "modules" is started. They all look like the following:
"modprobe: can't locate module /dev/ide/cd/cd"

(There are a couple of those with different devices, but I can't recall them...the whole boot process is too quick and I can't find these error messages in the logs)

I checked everything. I checked the devfs, I checked all my scripts in /etc, I checked and recompiled the kernel, I even ran a search tool to look for the string /dev/ide/cd/cd ... I can't find anything. I even tried to restart the bootscript "modules", but it doesn't display any of those messages.

Another error message is "xargs environment is too large for exec" (or something like that)

These error message start to annoy me. I need to get rid of them, please help me... :(

Thanks alot in advance!
steelerguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check your /etc/modules.autoload to make sure you are not trying to load the cd module there or /etc/modules.conf to see if you have an alias set up that is trying to load.
Antonio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should review your kernel options. You are probably leaving some old ide-cd marked as modules despite the fact you dont have it in your machine.

about the xargs error, after a kernel update (r6?) I never see it again... (i dont know where it come from)

anTONIo
The Walrus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You may want to check your /etc/modules.autoload to make sure you are not trying to load the cd module there or /etc/modules.conf to see if you have an alias set up that is trying to load.

No, I already checked that. The only module loaded at boot-time is 'nvidia', or at least thats the only module listet there ;)

Quote:
you should review your kernel options. You are probably leaving some old ide-cd marked as modules despite the fact you dont have it in your machine.

Nope, I configured my kernel to be as small as possible, which means leaving out everything that doesn't has the right to be there :)

Quote:

about the xargs error, after a kernel update (r6?) I never see it again... (i dont know where it come from)

Hmm really strange.
I don't remember this error message beeing there all the time...
cRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have this same problem after upgrading from 2.4.19->2.4.22. Surely this isn't some super mystery problem (although it is further proof that the Linux module system totally sucks compared to FreeBSD). HELP!!!!!
The Walrus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved.

I don't know what _exactly_ happened, but after I've updated KDE to 3.1.4 all error messages suddenly went away.

Thanks for the help anyway ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: