Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Different refresh rates with different resolutions?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Different refresh rates with different resolutions? Reply with quote

Here's my question, can XFree run different refresh rates for different resolutions? My desktop is run at 1600x1200@85hz, but I definitely cannot game at that resolution without major slowdown.

SO, I want to game at 1024x768@120hz. Win32 is just fine with the switching, but I don't know how to switch (or specify) the refresh rates for my monitor in the XF86Config file.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. These Gentoo forums are very easy to get the right amount of help, everyone here has been very helpful.

vash
TripKnot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that if the VertRefresh and HorizSync ranges are set for your monitor in XF86Config then X automatically uses the highest refresh available for the set resolution.

man XF86Config can explain all these options. You may be able to get the ranges from some monitors On Screen Display, monitor manual or mfr website.
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say the same thing, but then I tried it on my box and it gives the same refresh rate for all resolutions, even though I know my monitor is capable of a lot higher. (ie, same refresh rate at 1280x1024 and 640x480)

Edit: Windows does the same thing FYI. It won't change refresh rates when it changes resolutions. Thought I'd bring it up.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XF86Config file sets the maximum capability so that you don't fry/lock your monitor (depending on how old it is). Modern monitors change the sync rates automatically according to the resolution.

Pigeon:
If you find the same behaviour with windows, your story tells something about your specific monitor, it's not the general behaviour. I have no clues why this happens to you though. :?
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem.

In Windows I could get up to 100hz, and my monitor / video card is capable of it. It's very good for games and the like.

But in X, I can only get up to 85Hz on 1024x768
I'm getting 75hz on 1152x768

If I make Vsync higher in my XF86Config, say like putting the minimum to 80hz, it won't startup anymore in 1152x768, only 1024x768.

This is quite strange, since I'm sure it's capable of more? Anyone who knows what might cause this? Seems like I'm not the only one wondering about this.

Greets
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe that if the VertRefresh and HorizSync ranges are set for your monitor in XF86Config then X automatically uses the highest refresh available for the set resolution.

You're correct that this is how it's supposed to work but for me If I set vertRefresh to anything higher then 86 X won't start, even at 640x480 with very high HorizSync settings. I've tried both nv and nvidia drivers.

Quote:
Edit: Windows does the same thing FYI. It won't change refresh rates when it changes resolutions. Thought I'd bring it up.

It's fairly simple to force windows to certain refresh rates at different resolutions. I use nvrefresh for this and it works well.
vash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday morning bump, maybe someone is awake that can explain this. For a quick recap, how do we force refresh rates at specific resolutions? I know my monitor will do 120Hz at 1024x768, but X will only do that resolution at 85hz (the same for my 1600x1200 desktop). Someone has to know about this.

vash
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vash wrote:
Someone has to know about this.

I agree. I'm looking for a solution as well.
Perhaps it has something to do with not having monitor-specific drivers ? My XF86Config just says Vendor and Model name, but you can change this if you like, it doesn't matter, it's just for reference. It's the Hsync & Vrefresh that really matters.

But yes, just like vash, I'm wondering, why can't we force the Refresh rate to be as high as the monitor is capable off? Why does X only allow (a lot!) lower refresh rates?

That's what I'm wondering about.
vash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump^ for the evening crowd.

There just has to be a way to make X use a different refresh rate based upon different resolutions.

vash
mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X already does adjust the maximum refresh rate based on the resolution, provided you've properly setup your HorizSync and VertRefresh settings in XF86Config. My box at home does it just fine (Nvidia GeForce2 Pro, MAG DX890F 19" Mon). In the 'old' days of XFree v3.x, you would set this sort of thing up with modelines. However, XFree 4.x automatically calculates modelines correctly, most of the time. You may need to investigate your video card/monitor combo, to find out if there's a known issue. It sounds like X isn't generating the correct modelines for your display.

Alternatively, you could setup multiple screens in XF86Config, and switch screens. 'man xf86config' is your friend.

Just as an aside, Windows will switch to the best refresh rate for the resolution, if your refresh rate is set to 'optimal'.
TripKnot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll admit I was talking out my ass before. So I'll try to redeem myself here. The following link has a page that allows you to input your monitor specs and then it generates a list of mode lines to be used in XF86Config in the Monitor section. I have used it successfully to do a couple different resolutions. Hope this helps:

http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines
vash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchuckles wrote:
X already does adjust the maximum refresh rate based on the resolution, provided you've properly setup your HorizSync and VertRefresh settings in XF86Config. My box at home does it just fine (Nvidia GeForce2 Pro, MAG DX890F 19" Mon). In the 'old' days of XFree v3.x, you would set this sort of thing up with modelines. However, XFree 4.x automatically calculates modelines correctly, most of the time. You may need to investigate your video card/monitor combo, to find out if there's a known issue. It sounds like X isn't generating the correct modelines for your display.

Alternatively, you could setup multiple screens in XF86Config, and switch screens. 'man xf86config' is your friend.

Just as an aside, Windows will switch to the best refresh rate for the resolution, if your refresh rate is set to 'optimal'.
How would I setup multiple screens for X? My monitor definitely has the max vertical and horizontal refresh rates in the XF86Config file (checked with the manual, online, etc). Maybe I need to setup a seperate screen, just for the gaming resolutions, so I can get the desired refresh rate (120hz) when I game.

vash
onilinken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a hint...
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/nvidia_tsg.html

scroll down and you will end up seeing

Mode "1152x864"
DotClock 137.65
HTimings 1152 1184 1312 1536
VTimings 864 866 882 902
Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
EndMode

Mode "1024x768"
DotClock 115.50
HTimings 1024 1056 1248 1440
VTimings 768 771 781 802
Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
EndMode

and so on

i tried the config and well, i did get other refreshrates on diff resolutions, to bad i don't understand much of that...cause i don't have the same vert- and horizsync, dunno how to edit thou
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can the refresh rate be manipulated for run level 3?
Manny Calavera
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next XFree major release will definitly a better graphics managment - at least one of the developers said this in an interview

see you,
- Manny -
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: