[solved] distcc for 2 architectures
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: [solved] distcc for 2 architectures Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm doing some kind of setting up distcc in my home network. Connected computers:

1. Athlon X2: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
2. Atom D525: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
3. Atom N270: i686-pc-linux-gnu

The 64-bit machines use each other for compiling. The 32-Atom should compile on both 64-bit machines.

According to the DistCC Cross-compiling Guide it's useful to setup a wrapper script for different architectures. So if e.g. a package from the i686 machine calls just g++, the wrapper script translates that call to i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++. That's nice so far if the distcc compiler has the handle only packages from one architecture.

But in my case how can I distinguish between 32-bit and 64-bit when a compile request enters. Means how can the distcc compiler know if an incoming g++ package is 32 or 64 bit? Is there en enhancement of the wrapper script possible to handle more than one architecture?

Last edited by musv on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the wrapper script knows the desired architecture because the wrapper script is run on the master, so the desired architecture is the current architecture. That is, your wrapper on the N270 should always exec i686-pc-linux-gnu-program and your wrappers on the other machines should always exec x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-program. The program executed by the wrapper script will then be the distcc front-end of the requested architecture, which will farm it out with the now fully qualified name.
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, I guess I understood. :)

The wrapper script is responsible on the machine that sends the packages to compile to the other boxes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: