View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bornmw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: compiz hardmasked Reply with quote

Hi

Today I've sync'ed my portage and now it wants to delete my compiz.
Is there any news explaining this move? I had no luck finding any
Moving it to the overlay automatically makes compiz Experimental, doesn't it?

Thanks
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard-masked and will be removed from portage in ~30days, if no one steps up to maintain it. It's got a lot of bugs, isn't really maintained upstream, etc. Gentoo isn't the only distro doing this, Fedora and SUSE are on the same way.

Have a search on the bugtracker for more info.
bornmw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok, but is there something that is going to replace compiz?
Or will Fedora and SUSE be left with no desktop effects?
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bornmw wrote:

Err, compiz isn't the only compositor around.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bornmw wrote:
KDE does it via Kwin, GNOME uses mutter(?), e17 has it's own, ... don't know about XFCE and LXDE.

AFAIK, there's no standalone replacement, personally I couldn't care less, though.
bornmw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
bornmw wrote:

Err, compiz isn't the only compositor around.

I've been using it for a couple of years now and haven't looked around.
Now I see that Gnome and KDE came up with something.
But I guess migrating to compiz overlay will make things much easier for an XFCE4+Compiz addict, rather than migrating to KWin/Mutter...
jdhore
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx wrote:
bornmw wrote:
KDE does it via Kwin, GNOME uses mutter(?), e17 has it's own, ... don't know about XFCE and LXDE.

AFAIK, there's no standalone replacement, personally I couldn't care less, though.

XFWM can do compositing. It can't do the flashy crap of Compiz (like the cube, for example), but it can do drop shadows and stuff like that.
bornmw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdhore wrote:
XFWM can do compositing. It can't do the flashy crap of Compiz (like the cube, for example), but it can do drop shadows and stuff like that.

Nope, I can't live without the wobbly windows crap now.
Try it for yourself for a week or two - I bet you'll get addicted too!
sl0815
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The combination of "Everyone else does it", "Couldn't care less" and "no replacement" seems to be the death sentence for every package in the portage tree. I reckon the day is near when everyone is forced to use gnome 3, because the socalled devs don't like all the other desktop environments.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl0815 wrote:
The combination of "Everyone else does it", "Couldn't care less" and "no replacement" seems to be the death sentence for every package in the portage tree. I reckon the day is near when everyone is forced to use gnome 3, because the socalled devs don't like all the other desktop environments.
Well, you shouldn't forget that most developers do their work for free and in there spare time. Sure, it's sometimes sad, but are you willing to help? Would you step up and do the job (proxymainter f.e.) or pay someone to do it? If it would be a trivial task, I'm sure someone would already have taken over.
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put, avx.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I believe that "Every one else***" just shows that the package is buggy and getting hard to maintain.

I too have been a compiz fan for a very long time, but when it was hard masked I switched to kwin (as a kde user)
I find that kwin has almost all of the effects that I actually used in compiz, so I am quite happy with the switch. Moreover kwin never crashes, which
compiz often did for me, so I am actually glad that I made the switch. I also had trouble running googleearth with compiz, which I don't with kwin.

The only thing that I missed were my emerald window decorations, some of which I had customized myself.
However I then discovered that x11-themes/smaragd (which is in portage) allows you to use the emerald decorations with kwin.

To use it when switching from compiz to kwin:

(1) emerge x11-themes/smaragd
(2) You will now find that the particular emerald window decorations that you used to use with compiz will now be listed in the kde system settings
window decorations, under the name smargd.
bornmw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap wrote:
I too have been a compiz fan for a very long time, but when it was hard masked I switched to kwin (as a kde user)

That was exactly my intention when I started the thread - to collect other users' experience dealing with the situation.
Not starting a discussion about the sense of desktop effects or the opensource development principles.

Yours is not exactly what is going to help me and other XFCE+Compiz users (if there are any) but hopefully will be helpful to others :)
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yours is not exactly what is going to help me and other XFCE+Compiz users (if there are any) but hopefully will be helpful to others

I too used to use compiz with Xfce4, so I will miss it in that context. I don't think that there is anything that will help Xfce users at the moment. However the problems with it
are widespread. Here are some interesting references.

(1) Lead Compiz developer's apology: http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2011/12/25/apology-2/

(2) PCLinux Forums: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=102299.0

(3) http://omgcheesecake.net/index.php?/topic/1576-compiz-developer-apologizes/

I wish to thank the Gentoo compiz maintainer for all of the effort that has been put into it over the years. I have derived great pleasure and benefit from these efforts but recognize that it is no longer reasonable to maintain the package, given it's upstream state.

I Also wish to thank the creators of the trail-blazing Compiz-Beryl project, which was so far ahead of its time for so long. As often happens with great innovation, the first don't always last the longest.
Perhaps the first blaze the trail and others later find better ways to do the same thing.
If some awkwardness of coding was locked into the early stages of Compiz, I can see that it would eventually become hard to maintain without simply starting over. I think that we should thank all who have worked on this project rather than criticizing them. :D
In terms of effects, even yet nothing matches compiz, 'tho kwin is very close.
I can only hope that other compositing managers (with a sounder code base?) now work to put all of the compiz effects into their managers. Of course as a user who pays and contributes nothing,
I have no right to demand anything and can only thank others for their marvelous contributions.

Last edited by nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
dirkfanick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May there should be an overlay for compiz?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stuff overlay has the Compiz 0.8.8 ebuilds patched to also work with KDE4 Window Decorator in KDE 4.8.0 for those who want to build with USE="kde". The stuff overlay ebuilds work in KDE 4.8.0 in my ~amd64 installation, although Oxygen in KDE4 Window Decorator does not work very well in Compiz (but then that is a known limitation: Plastik seems to be the only KDE theme that works well with Compiz). And for those people who just want to move to a local overlay the ebuilds currently masked for removal in the main tree (mainly 0.8.4), I've listed all the commands in Moving Compiz to a local overlay in Gentoo.

My blog
dirkfanick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is compiz/beryl really that unstable?

I like it very much to see an true opengl-desktop as it is state of the art regarding desktop-techniques. As "bleeding-edge"-system gentoo should offer it, I believe.

Why not let it in portage as USE-flag-option until another opengl-decorator appears?
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because people expect - correctly - that everything in the official portage tree is supported by Gentoo developers. That is in fact the case, but since there is no one wanting to support it or even can do it, since it is heavily broken, still having it in portage means people will open bugs and threads complaining, which just needs more support time, which is stolen from things more important.

This is by far no trivial application, and it's sheer luck that it's still somewhat running. All those people trying to keep it and thus expect more work from already overloaded devs should just step your game up. Provide patches (to upstream) or pay someone to do it, really, if everyone interested would spend a few bucks, that would go a long way, but so far, I've only heard/read people complaining and doing next to nothing.

Again, it's sad, but you don't seem to know what work is (to be) involved here, so please, I think the devs are knowing way better than most of us and are doing the right thing.
dirkfanick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome worked fine for me with compiz.

Will they have their own 3d-decorator?
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a sense I should really thank the removal of compiz : I have tried lots of different WM, and I found that some are really better for me than compiz :-)

The ones I really liked most are, dwmii, dwm, xmonad and openbox, all in complement with xcompmgr.

I am now under openbox which is really easy to configure and I can put a movie as background witch was my first reason to use compiz, and removing all decoration was so easy with openbox : a really good one.

Thanks for all works in every gentoo topics to all, have a nice day !
katfish
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get compiz running on gnome2 and its gtk window decrator but had no luck with the portage version of compiz.

Anyone here who runs a similar setup with the new ebuilds ? http://fitzcarraldoblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/moving-compiz-to-a-local-overlay-in-gentoo/
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregoire wrote:
In a sense I should really thank the removal of compiz...
The ones I really liked most are, dwmii, dwm, xmonad and openbox, all in complement with xcompmgr.

Although, I like openbox, it is not fair to thank the removal of compiz. They are not in the same league and they have different goals.
And linux will again lose the lead for eye candy that it got with compiz among other OS (win, mac, etc). Every windows and mac users were so jealous and surprised of the linux, because of the compiz I showed of. That'll be very pitty, if compiz development stops. So far, luckily the development is going active with their launchpad repo.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenblade wrote:
Every windows and mac users were so jealous and surprised of the linux, because of the compiz I showed of. That'll be very pitty, if compiz development stops.
So we now focus on writing fancy UIs to charm people not even in unix-land instead of putting work into things utterly broken (by design) which'll allow people to actually getting there work done?

We could already beet the other systems in terms of looks before compiz even existed, but we still have a lack of hardware-/software support to actually interest people in the whole ecosystem. People don't come/stay for looks, they stay for applications.
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx wrote:
So we now focus on writing fancy UIs to charm people not even in unix-land instead of putting work into things utterly broken (by design) which'll allow people to actually getting there work done?

I did not say we must focus on writing fancy UIs. Even writing fancy UIs doesn't mean stopping the work for the whatever utterly broken you think. This is open-source, everybody works on whatever they wishes. Also, it is not right to think first we must fix something then the other. There is no holly rule for that. There is no need to wait for things to do other things most of the time. Probably it is better they go in some kind of parallel evolution. It is like saying "I am gonna do some sport, if I find a girl friend". That does not work, if you want to do some sport, you do the sport. There is no need to tie it to a some other things.
Quote:

We could already beet the other systems in terms of looks before compiz even existed, but we still have a lack of hardware-/software support to actually interest people in the whole ecosystem. People don't come/stay for looks, they stay for applications.

I agree with most of the things you say (including other threads you involved). Most of the people use their computer for browsing net, doing some office related things, listening to music, chatting, etc. And I don't see an utterly broken things for these people. If their hardware does not work on linux/unix-land, it is not the fault of unix-land, but their for buying and their hardware manufacturers for not providing the specs.
Also the look is very important, sorry but this is human nature :)
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenblade, UIs are nothing which can be done standalone. At the very least, you've always got to have a look at core libraries, i.e. xlib/xcb and stuff, if 3D stuff is involved, one needs to be on the lookout for drivers, etc. Except for very basic compositors, like xcompmgr, development imho can't be a standalone generic one, if you want seamless integration - that's why KDE pimped kwin, etc.

As for "human nature", I'm inhuman then? Most people I know, including me, care to get their job done, even if job only means reading a news site or shopping on the web. Looks aren't that important, here. Ever had a look in a somewhat bigger company or governmental sites, people are still working on things like Win2000 there and are generally afraid of something new - think of the outcry related to MSs ribbon-UI. Sure, looks can add to the experience, i.e. in media centers, but wobbly windows won't help you get your calculations done.

Apple doesn't overuse fancy animations and stuff, still there stuff is selling like there's no tomorrow and imho that is part of the reason. It's simple and just works for most people. We on the other hand had perfectly good software, but ruined it, because we thought there are ways to make it better. Prime example amaroK, imho for a long time the best player on the market, only imho competing with foobar2k, but now it's utter shit and the solution was to fork 1.4 and turn it into clementine.

The average person doesn't shop for hardware based on what's build in, they go to some kind of super market and pick what fits best with their interior at home. Only then, they may have a look at Linux and see it's not working, but they don't care for the reason or who is to blame.

As long as the basic UI is somewhat appealing and not looking worse than WinXP - if that is even possible - and which I think it is in all the big DEs, then it's time to show off what our apps can do.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: