Best procedure to *down*grade OpenSSL [SOLVED-unnecessary!]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Best procedure to *down*grade OpenSSL [SOLVED-unnecessary!] Reply with quote

I've got a relatively new Gentoo install that has openssl 1.0 on it, and I apparently need to downgrade this in order to run KDE 3.5.10 from kde-sunset overlay. It needs to go back to openssl-0.9.8k or so. Although ebuilds this old have disappeared from portage, I've managed to get my hands on openssl-0.9.8k-r1.ebuild, and the source tarball, and have got to the point where portage will begin to merge it but....

I run right away into the problem that it starts looking for patches (in particular openssl-0.9.7-alpha-default-gcc.patch), and fails because I don't have the patch source. I've looked around in the obvious places and tried googling, but without spending hours and hours, haven't turned up anything. Even if I found this one, there are probably a cascade of others just waiting in the wings.

Is this a lost cause? Is there a straightforward way to pursue this sort of downgrade? Or will I have to give up on KDE 3.5? I started out looking for help in this thread, but soon figured this was more a portage or openssl problem than a KDE problem.

Thanks for any help you could give.

Last edited by Punchcutter on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not true. KDE 3.5 was patched for OpenSSL 1.0.0 in the kde-sunset overlay months ago.
The fixed ebuilds might not just be marked stable in the overlay, so you need to add the failing packages to package.keywords in order to get newer/fixed versions...
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless you.... you're a saint :D All you need is one little bit of information, one little clue like this to save you hours and hours of hassle. I had been putting off getting this new workstation up to speed for weeks because of this problem. I now have my KDE 3.5 with latest OpenSSL and life is good. Thanks.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here: to be specific, if you check the versions available of kdelibs:3.5, there are quite a few masked ones, up to r10, while only r6 is marked stable. Just keyword r10 (compiling as I speak) and we're good to go.

Punchcutter wrote:
Bless you.... you're a saint :D All you need is one little bit of information, one little clue like this to save you hours and hours of hassle. I had been putting off getting this new workstation up to speed for weeks because of this problem. I now have my KDE 3.5 with latest OpenSSL and life is good. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: