exclude /usr/local/* from root's environment
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsa4046
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: exclude /usr/local/* from root's environment Reply with quote

I compiled a newer copy of gcc (4.7 svn) that I need only as user (optimization of local source code), and did ./configure && make as user, and then make install as root. This installs gcc executables, libraries, and headers in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/libexec, /usr/local/lib32, /usr/local/lib64, /usr/local/share, and /usr/local/include. To avoid any problems I'd like to exclude any of this /usr/local stuff from being used by root during emerge, etc. I know there are various ways of editing env variables, but would like to know the simplest way to accomplish this limitation. I thought I could do this just by limiting root's path, but this is not enough. For example, I now pick up errors like the following as root
Code:
 /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.17-gdb.py is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.
Is this feasible, or should I have simply configured the source to use /home/user paths? I tried the toolchain overlay, but could not get any of the snapshots to compile properly.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try
Code:
gcc-config-l

If there's no star next to 4.7 portage won't use it AFAIK.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
dol-sen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/usr/local is normally in all PATHs before the system. So short of auditting the whole thing, it is quicker to try a different path like /home/... where it can be in your environment, but not affect the rest of the system. Depending on what you are doing. Have a look at the gentoo-prefix installation docs. In a prefix install you can have an isolated yet different system within a system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: