X taking up to 100% CPU share when playing video
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: X taking up to 100% CPU share when playing video Reply with quote

Hi all, it's quite annoying for me to find out that X is taking over 90% CPU share whenever playing videos with Totem, resulting in a very low refresh rate.
I'm not sure what caused this and searching gave me no results of this very symptom.

I think it's independent with decoders, as playing AVI, MP4, and MKV both will result in this, even when enabling the sound effects when playing an audio file. Furthermore, if I minimized the window, the CPU usage of X is back to normal, below 5%.

I'm using X86_64 and AMD graphics card with fglrx, direct rendering is on.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
HolgerB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: X taking up to 100% CPU share when playing video Reply with quote

ryanli wrote:
Hi all, it's quite annoying for me to find out that X is taking over 90% CPU share whenever playing videos with Totem, resulting in a very low refresh rate.
I'm not sure what caused this and searching gave me no results of this very symptom.

I think it's independent with decoders, as playing AVI, MP4, and MKV both will result in this, even when enabling the sound effects when playing an audio file. Furthermore, if I minimized the window, the CPU usage of X is back to normal, below 5%.

I'm using X86_64 and AMD graphics card with fglrx, direct rendering is on.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Sound pretty much like my issues I had under Xubuntu with fglrx prior I switched to the radeon drivers.

Ideas / Suggestions:
- Try a different player (e.g. VLC / MPlayer)
- Try different video output modules in the player (e.g. X11, OpenGL and so on)
- Try to enable playback acceleration (vaapi)
- Try to enable "tearfree video" inside the ATI control center
- Try an older / newer version of fglrx and/or Xorg
- Try if using radeon solves the issue (you could do so by using an Ubuntu CD in Livemode. The latest Ubuntu sports the radeon drivers in live mode).

While fglrx provides better 3D performance and WINE compatibility compared to radeon, the opensource driver still provides better options for multi-head configuration and is more stable.

HTH,
D$
ryanli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: X taking up to 100% CPU share when playing video Reply with quote

Thanks a lot HolgerB, I switched to radeon just now and CPU usage of X is back to normal now.
Maybe it's a problem of fglrx under x86_64, as I never experienced similar problems before when using x86.
Still have some problems with framebuffer but I think I am able to sort it out. :-)

HolgerB wrote:
Sound pretty much like my issues I had under Xubuntu with fglrx prior I switched to the radeon drivers.

Ideas / Suggestions:
- Try a different player (e.g. VLC / MPlayer)
- Try different video output modules in the player (e.g. X11, OpenGL and so on)
- Try to enable playback acceleration (vaapi)
- Try to enable "tearfree video" inside the ATI control center
- Try an older / newer version of fglrx and/or Xorg
- Try if using radeon solves the issue (you could do so by using an Ubuntu CD in Livemode. The latest Ubuntu sports the radeon drivers in live mode).

While fglrx provides better 3D performance and WINE compatibility compared to radeon, the opensource driver still provides better options for multi-head configuration and is more stable.

HTH,
D$
HolgerB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: X taking up to 100% CPU share when playing video Reply with quote

ryanli wrote:
Thanks a lot HolgerB, I switched to radeon just now and CPU usage of X is back to normal now.
Maybe it's a problem of fglrx under x86_64, as I never experienced similar problems before when using x86.
Still have some problems with framebuffer but I think I am able to sort it out. :-)

You are welcome ! I am neither an NVidia nor an AMD / ATI fanboy but my general observation from all my other Linux boxes running various distribs is that the NVidia blob supports older cards much longer and runs more stable than fglrx. Also HD decoding in NVidia (VDPAU) is much easier than AMD (vaapi).

Radeon on the other hand is a more valid open-source option (beside the closed sourced micro-code) compared to Noveau.

I would re-try fglrx when a new a new version gets released.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: